Cube Attain GTC SL Disc (2016) Sizing Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

I just bought a bike from CRC , the recommended rider heights seem to be wrong on there charts .

I also have a Cube agree gtc size 58 and it is smaller than the Attain size 56 , looks like Cube Attain are more like Cannondale sizing now where you size down .

Yes the attain line were introduced in 2016 I believe and Cube "normalised" their sizing that year which is making everything tougher on me. Booked my tickets to cambridge so should be sorted out. Will update all.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

Update for anyone who cares. 56cm was too small; even just looking at it I knew it was too small. Me and the friendly chap at Rutland Cycling both said instantly when I got on. 58cm should be delivering tomorrow but tracking says 1st Dec! Excited.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I also got my Cube, mail order, from Rutland Cycles and the service was fast and the delivery efficient. The PDI was first rate as everything was working smoothly, straight out of the box.

The 505 hoods took a bit of getting used to - they are longer and thinner than Shimano's recent offerings, but I can cope fine. The stock rotors are the cheaper 'resin only' variety, and will be replaced with better quality ones soon. However, your model might have better ones fitted as standard? The matte paint is a grime magnet, but GT85 on a clean rag gets rid of most of it. A nice touch is about 30 cm of helicopter tape under the downtube. I also had to tape up the non drive side chainstay as my heel was rubbing the paint away...

I look forward to hearing your experiences.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I also got my Cube, mail order, from Rutland Cycles and the service was fast and the delivery efficient. The PDI was first rate as everything was working smoothly, straight out of the box.

The 505 hoods took a bit of getting used to - they are longer and thinner than Shimano's recent offerings, but I can cope fine. The stock rotors are the cheaper 'resin only' variety, and will be replaced with better quality ones soon. However, your model might have better ones fitted as standard? The matte paint is a grime magnet, but GT55 on a clean rag gets rid of most of it. A nice touch is about 30 cm of helicopter tape under the downtube. I also had to tape up the non drive side chainstay as my heel was rubbing the paint away...

A lovely looking machine, the Matt grey finish is fab. I find Mr Muscle glass cleaner (any glass cleaner will do) sprayed onto a cloth gets rid of any grime leaving that perfect factory Matt finish. GT85 leaves a slightly greasy finish and is prone to showing fingerprints.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

The 505 hoods took a bit of getting used to - they are longer and thinner than Shimano's recent offerings, but I can cope fine. The stock rotors are the cheaper 'resin only' variety, and will be replaced with better quality ones soon. However, your model might have better ones fitted as standard? The matte paint is a grime magnet, but GT55 on a clean rag gets rid of most of it. A nice touch is about 30 cm of helicopter tape under the downtube. I also had to tape up the non drive side chainstay as my heel was rubbing the paint away...

I was hoping the PDI would be good as I plan to ride it asap. Is delivering tomorrow morning but won't be home till late afternoon to test it out.

Matte black should be better at hiding grime than your grey but thanks for the tip. Also do plan to tape some bits up, will have crud roadracers on it so will tape up bits to prevent paint chipping.

Will update.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

Can I ask, did yours come with flat pedals? Believe I read somewhere that Rutland include some basic flat pedals. Will need to use those until I get another pair of clipless

Origamist

Legendary Member
A lovely looking machine, the Matt grey finish is fab. I find Mr Muscle glass cleaner (any glass cleaner will do) sprayed onto a cloth gets rid of any grime leaving that perfect factory Matt finish. GT85 leaves a slightly greasy finish and is prone to showing fingerprints.

I'll give window cleaner a go, I've never used that. Although GT85 does have a greasy residue, it does resist a bit of road crud sticking to the frame.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Can I ask, did yours come with flat pedals? Believe I read somewhere that Rutland include some basic flat pedals. Will need to use those until I get another pair of clipless

I don't think it did. I put clipless on straight away.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

I don't think it did. I put clipless on straight away.

Your PDI was good? Mine was horrible. Front and rear not indexed at all. Rear limiter wasn't even done up or properly, chain fell into spokes but luckily I wasn't riding so prevented damage.

Luckily I have no time this week to ride it. Will probably drop it off to my LBS to give it a quick look over.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Your PDI was good? Mine was horrible. Front and rear not indexed at all. Rear limiter wasn't even done up or properly, chain fell into spokes but luckily I wasn't riding so prevented damage.

Luckily I have no time this week to ride it. Will probably drop it off to my LBS to give it a quick look over.

Complain. I suspect they are shifting a lot of units due to the heavy discounts and PDI standards are slipping. No excuse for it though.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

Rides like a dream. May need to move the saddle forward or change the stem though. Arms a bit too straight for my liking.

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

Jeez another issue has come up. Done a 25 mile ride and at the end of it the rear hub is very quiet. Rolling it is sometimes even silent. Power seems fine but don't want this to be an issue down the line.

al3xsh

Über Member
View attachment 152676 Cube size smaller, I have 2 friends who ride a Cube both have sized up. You are in between sizes with other brands but not with Cube so if you can't get to sit on one to try then buy the 58cm.
Cube suggest 5ft 9"- 5ft 11" for a 58cm frame!

I'm 6ft and I have the 56 cube attain disc (the aluminium one). I tried both the 56 and the 58 and the lbs recommended the 56.

I think it fits really well - I've done a 100 miler on it and it was really comfortable.

A

OP
OP
WuMyster

WuMyster

I'm 6ft and I have the 56 cube attain disc (the aluminium one). I tried both the 56 and the 58 and the lbs recommended the 56.

I think it fits really well - I've done a 100 miler on it and it was really comfortable.

A
I could definitely ride a 56cm. Just found 58cm more comfortable.

Top Bottom