Cube Attain SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
I have a 2019 model Cube Attain which I purchased in September 2019 and has done over 4000 miles since then.

Good points:
1. Value. I couldn't see many other bikes with hydro discs and full 105 at this price point.
2. Reliability of frame. I have hammered this bike along country lanes, winter and summer and gravel by ways. The frame is still unmarked. Great paint job. No sign of stress anywhere.
3. Comfort. I use this bike for Audax and long rides. It is pretty comfortable. Quite upright stack. Seems to handle endurance riding well. I like the saddle - as good as my Fabric Scoop. The bars and stem, whilst not branded, seem up to the job. The wide tyres also help.
4. Tyre flexibility. Cube suggest 28mm max ( and supply tyres this size) but I am currently running 32 mm Panaracer Gravel Kings - but without full mudguards. 30mm may fit with guards if you can find any that fit apart from clip on.
5. Weight. Comes in under 10kg (just) and is fast enough for this kind of bike. It won't win races but it does keep going.
6. Handling. Predictable, safe but not boring.

Considerations (everyone will have different experiences here)

1. Wheels. I got through bearings on both wheels quite fast. Then I broke a rim. I have replaced the wheels with Mavic All Roads which have been far tougher.
2. Mudguard mounts. There are apparently some Cube guards that will fit into hidden slots on the forks and stays but I can't see how. I haven't bought them. There is nothing on the bridge or top of the forks that I can detect. This means clip on guards.
3. Bottom bracket. I wore it out in 1500 miles. The LBS replaced with a better version and fixed it in more securely and since then no issues.

I like the bike. We have become good friends over our miles together. I would recommend it apart from the problem with fixing guards.

Adam4868

Guru
I've had a Cube Attain that I've had for a few years.Use it as my bad weather/winter bike and been great.Done some long rides on it aswell.The mudguards that fit are specific to this bike.Ive 28mm tyres on but I'm not sure you could go any bigger with the guards fitted.If my memory serves me right the mudguards are called cubeguard.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good rundowns and useful information by @footloose crow and @Adam4868 but be aware many makes come out of the same factory so you might find better specs/deals/availability elsewhere if you look around. A pressfit bottom bracket might be worth avoiding if it has one.
The most popular model at the moment is the ‘available right now’ but good luck in finding it :smile:.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

gunja99

postman

Legendary Member
Veeerry nice,lovely looking bike.Many years back a Cube was on my horizon,but sadly no spare money.Enjoy it.

gunja99

Veeerry nice,lovely looking bike.Many years back a Cube was on my horizon,but sadly no spare money.Enjoy it.
I really do like the look of it and the colour. Like the cleaness of disc brakes (though after bought read up on maintenance of them... eeeeerrrrrr. Do have a very experienced work mate with 6 bikes who will service/help me). Wasn't carbon, but.... I guess get better wheels/brakes for that. So

Was more or less a spur of moment purchase. Been umming and arring about getting a better bike for months. Shame £300 more than it was in November, got it on 18 months interest free, and paid off a quarter (to make the monthlies affordable, and I can easily afford it)... Still justifying it aren't I?! Hah!

Just worried about the post of it, how it'll come (how much putting together I need to do), day off work to wait in for it, etc. Will it be be all nice in tact, hah.

Just thought in the end, I enjoy this cycling, me triban (whilst been great), just isn't the best, and why wait till March when I get back out on the roads again and then decide I want something better (and stock even worse!). Just pray don't buy something else next year on the never never! lol

Last edited:

gunja99

I hope your new bike gives you years of pleasure :okay:
Which colour did you buy ?
Thanks a lot, hope so. So weird buying something that expensive (I know some of you all probably have spent loads more, but way more than ever have or ever thought would spend on a bike, must be hooked!) and not seeing it first!

I went with the grey, 1) because there's not red/orange ones out there, and 2) TBH prefer it anyway, seems to be my thing dark grey/blue, and your accessories can change and give colour as when needed hah!

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Thanks a lot, hope so. So weird buying something that expensive (I know some of you all probably have spent loads more, but way more than ever have or ever thought would spend on a bike, must be hooked!) and not seeing it first!

I went with the grey, 1) because there's not red/orange ones out there, and 2) TBH prefer it anyway, seems to be my thing dark grey/blue, and your accessories can change and give colour as when needed hah!
Agree - the grey has a quiet dignity that bright red will never posses :okay:

Adam4868

Guru
I really do like the look of it and the colour. Like the cleaness of disc brakes (though after bought read up on maintenance of them... eeeeerrrrrr. Do have a very experienced work mate with 6 bikes who will service/help me). Wasn't carbon, but.... I guess get better wheels/brakes for that. So

Was more or less a spur of moment purchase. Been umming and arring about getting a better bike for months. Shame £300 more than it was in November, got it on 18 months interest free, and paid off a quarter (to make the monthlies affordable, and I can easily afford it)... Still justifying it aren't I?! Hah!

Just worried about the post of it, how it'll come (how much putting together I need to do), day off work to wait in for it, etc. Will it be be all nice in tact, hah.

Just thought in the end, I enjoy this cycling, me triban (whilst been great), just isn't the best, and why wait till March when I get back out on the roads again and then decide I want something better (and stock even worse!). Just pray don't buy something else next year on the never never! lol
I've one and I've never touched the brakes/maintenance wise in three or more years.Put new pads in the rear because they sqealed ! That's about it.Still love it,great bike.

Top Bottom