cube gtc pro 2014 or cannondale evo 6??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

never heard of a giant tec, what website is it you saw that?

for info giant have only just changed their naming strategy, what ste describesabove used to be so but this year the names are different, so take note if selecting one.

also for info, tcr composites come in about 8.25 kg as well.

Cyclist33

suspect you would need a Small in the Giant tcr, as i ride a Medium Large Defy and thats plenty big enough for my 5'11".

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Sorry, you are right of course, the name being wrong, haha, apologies

I think you may have made my mind up as i was looking at a 53 frame, and that comes out as medium in the giant. At the price I'm looking at I can't get the small frame (46cm does sound small though) online calculators say I need a 52 or 53.

So if it is unavailable in my size then job done. Cube :-)

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

just when you think you have sorted your head out regarding bike choice, a trip to the local bike shop changes your mind. Was set on the Cube, but it has been suggested that the new 2015 Giant TCR Advanced 3 is better than the the Cube Agree GTC pro. Haven't ridden either, but apparently the giant's frame is superior despite the groupset being tiagra and not 105....
Decisions

shadow master

just when you think you have sorted your head out regarding bike choice, a trip to the local bike shop changes your mind. Was set on the Cube, but it has been suggested that the new 2015 Giant TCR Advanced 3 is better than the the Cube Agree GTC pro. Haven't ridden either, but apparently the giant's frame is superior despite the groupset being tiagra and not 105....
Decisions
Yeah I'd agree with that cube have a habit of scanning the far east for all the out of date production...hence why they still use 7005 tubing on some of there bikes....same old story you can try and hide a dated frame with better components in an advert,but not in the actual ride....saying that planet x have been pumping out carbon frames from moulds that are 8 years out of date and the ultegra equipment blinds people,nice business if you can get it

OP
OP
C

Chris Long

Shadow Master, you may have convinced me
also getting the lifetime warranty.
I think it comes with a standard tiagra chainset and i'm used to a compact, so I may simply change that to a 105 compact and then maybe upgrade bits and pieces over time

shadow master

Your exactly right only cycle manufactures offer proper up to date frames from the latest moulds with lifetime guarantee,really only giant and merida,these companies have a combined value of over 140 billion Taiwanese dollars!...check the 2015 Merida range,they take some beating.

Cyclist33

Sizing wise there is sooooo much variation in how the brands market their sizing, the only way to know for sure is to sit on, or preferably test ride before you buy... Even the brand's geometry charts can be misleading and they don't really tell you if a particular geometry works for you even if it sounds like it would.

I got the 56 in my steel bike, arguably I should've got the 58, in the first few months riding I got agonising shoulder pains, but changing the ride height n stuff sorted that out. It's now the most comfortable long distance bike I've had.

Giant's sizing is "odd". I was between M and ML. In the end I took a ML but I needed a shortened stem.

So when I suggested a small, it might be that a medium might work better, if you fitted a shorter stem
stem.

So you really have to try out first!

Cyclist33

Your exactly right only cycle manufactures offer proper up to date frames from the latest moulds with lifetime guarantee,really only giant and merida,these companies have a combined value of over 140 billion Taiwanese dollars!...check the 2015 Merida range,they take some beating.
They also offer cheaper options with less up to date technology and you're always going to pay a premium if you can't build your own.

shadow master

Sizing wise there is sooooo much variation in how the brands market their sizing, the only way to know for sure is to sit on, or preferably test ride before you buy... Even the brand's geometry charts can be misleading and they don't really tell you if a particular geometry works for you even if it sounds like it would.

I got the 56 in my steel bike, arguably I should've got the 58, in the first few months riding I got agonising shoulder pains, but changing the ride height n stuff sorted that out. It's now the most comfortable long distance bike I've had.

Giant's sizing is "odd". I was between M and ML. In the end I took a ML but I needed a shortened stem.

So when I suggested a small, it might be that a medium might work better, if you fitted a shorter stem
stem.

So you really have to try out first!
Totally agree the amount of people that size up on x brand and then buy y is obvious when you do a sportive,some shocking mistakes usually too big in most cases.

Cyclist33

Yep, too big is well common. I think it partly comes down to self perception.. I am actually quite tall when I see photos of myself, but I feel smaller than I am so often opt for a smaller bike.

Also I have a sneaky suspucion that the sportive market is a bit of a myth, they sell bikes with a shorter reach and upright head tube but actually I am far more comfortable on a long ride if my spine is allowed to stretch along and down. So more of a leaf spring effect on my body.

Top Bottom