Cube Hyde Pro 2019 vs Canonndale Bad Boy 3 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DoSAC

Morning all,

I was hoping to get some opinions/recomendations on two particular bikes I have my eye on - the Cube Hyde Pro 2019 and the Canonndale Bad Boy 3 2020.

They both currently have a price point of c£700 (the Hyde 2019 is on sale just now), which is important as that is the value of cycle scheme voucher.

Any input from owners, former owners, or other prospective owners would be great.

Thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Its always a good idea to post links so that we all know exactly which bikes you are talking about and saves a lot of Googling.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Chalk 'n cheese innit? How much do you value low maintenance(enclosed hub & rubber drive), or do you prefer a more conventional (apart from the peg leg fork) layout with a spread of lower gears?
If you're using it for commuting the former has much to be said for it.
Can you get guards on that Zebedee fork?

Last edited:
The belt drive is lower maintenance until you get a flat... getting that back wheel off on the road side will be a hassle! If your commute is less than 3 miles, you could just walk it home to your tools. Any further, and it could be a huge pain. having said that you can get inner tubes which can be fitted/removed without removing the wheel these days, so it's not a deal breaker.

If you are doing zero maintenance yourself, and can get on with the limitations of hub gearing range, then that's a no brainer. If you plan to DIY, a conventional derailleur setup will be easier for a home mechanic. Personally, I'd prefer to pair the hub gear with a conventional chain because when the belt eventually wears out, it's going to cost more to replace. Just remember that hubs are more complex than derailleurs to service, but they do benefit from needing less attention and cleaning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DoSAC

Just to give you an idea what you would have to contend with, with the gates belt system

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiEPGj5nmzM

Thanks for sharing - I hadn't considered this point!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just to give you an idea what you would have to contend with, with the gates belt system

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiEPGj5nmzM

And this is more trouble than with a chain? Please tell me how. You won't get oily messy hands with a rubber belt.
I have a Bike Friday with a conventional chain and Alfine hub it's no big deal, just a slightly longer process. I have heard tell you can remove the tube to mend a puncture without taking out the wheel ; ).
In reality @DoSAC if you have tyres with a puncture protection belt fixing a flat is a very rare occurrence.

And this is more trouble than with a chain? Please tell me how. You won't get oily messy hands with a rubber belt.
I have a Bike Friday with a conventional chain and Alfine hub it's no big deal, just a slightly longer process. I have heard tell you can remove the tube to mend a puncture without taking out the wheel ; ).
In reality @DoSAC if you have tyres with a puncture protection belt fixing a flat is a very rare occurrence.
I don't think that it's a deal breaker, I said as much in my first post. It's just slightly more effort to get the wheel off IMO! Sure, it's nice not dealing with oil, but then, a bit of oil on your fingers isn't the end of the world either. Keeping a chain clean and oiled is about the easists of maintenance tasks one can fathom on a bicycle.

As for the tubes, you don't need to take the wheel off. They are a long tube that your seal together at the end, rather than the traditional continuous circular type. Pricey though at £12 a pop (literally!).

31dDxeDO5iL._AC_SX450_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom