Cube nu Road ex 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazbiker

Hi,

I've got a Cube nuroad ex 2021 model.

It has an Alex rims wheel set with cube branded hubs. Wheel Model: CUBE RA 0.8 CX

There is a rumbling noise coming from the rear wheel and vibration can be felt in through the pedals. More noticeable when the clutch is engaged on the mech and in higher gears.

I have placed the bike in a stand and the roughness can be heard coming from the freehub area. There is no play in the wheel but there is significant movement in the freehub.

The hub bearings are ok, as are the cones. Plenty of grease is coating the bearings.

How is the freehub removed from the hub for replacement?

I cannot see an Allen key fixing on the drive side or inside the hub when the 12mm maxle is removed?

It has a smooth sleeve all the way through the freehub.

Hope you can help.

Thank you,

vickster

Legendary Member
How long have you had it? How many miles?
If not long and not many, take it back to where you bought it from. Don’t dismantle anything yourself so as to not void any warranty 👍

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
D

Dazbiker

I've had it around 3 months.

Done around 1.5k on it.

The bike shop want nothing to do with it as they claim its a wear and tear part.

I've contacted Cube but no reply.

Can the freehub be removed? I've looked with the 12mm spindle removed. But no sign of a torque or allen key fixture.

Surely it's not an all in one throw away part?

Thanks,

OP
OP
D

Dazbiker

I will give it another go with them, to see what the outcome is.

Was hoping there was a means of getting it off should it happen again in the future.

raggydoll

Über Member
As above...no way should they be fobbing you off with "it's wear and tear".

You should not be forking out for a new freehub or whatever it ends up being.

Just googled cube bike warranty:

'Your CUBE bike is warranted to be free from manufacturing defects for 2 years with effect from the date of sale'.

It doesn't specify that it is only for frames.

I would say that it is defective.

raggydoll

Über Member
Thank you. I will get in touch with them again tomorrow.

Read up on the consumer rights act 2015 before you go in case they try to fob you off again.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/shopping/faulty-goods

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...turn-my-goods-what-are-my-rights-ams3G2z9V7lW

Basically under the consumer rights act 2015.....

As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.

The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards:

• Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.
  • As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.
  • Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.
One aspect of a product being of satisfactory quality is durability, in other words how long it lasts.

Durability takes into account many different factors like product type, brand reputation, price point and how it is advertised. For example you're unlikely to be able to claim a cheap kettle that's stopped working after four years isn't durable. Whereas a more premium and expensive kettle that's been well looked after and has stopped working after 14 months could be considered to not be durable, and therefore not of satisfactory quality.

How long do you have to return a faulty product?
The Consumer Rights Act gives you the legal right to either get a refund for goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, or get it repaired - depending on how long you've owned it:

• 0 - 30 days you can claim a full refund for goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
  • 30 days - six months you must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund
  • six months or more you must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty
I would say that your bike would be covered under the 'satisfactory quality' and durability aspects.

Yes of course parts of bikes are wear and tear but a freehub is not something that should be replaced at your cost after 3 months and 1500km.

My main bike is 11 years old and has the original hub.

As it's between 30 days and 6 months, they have one opportunity to repair or replace.

barrysi

Hi Daz
My wife has a Cube Nu Road 2021 and whilst doing some checks on it I have just discovered the same thing, a rumbling in the rear hub.
Let me know how you get on, I will be contacting the supplier tomorrow. She has only had it just over a month.

Barry

Top Bottom