Cube Reaction hybrid size advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu100

I am in the process of buying a Cube Reaction hybrid hardtail mtb. I am 186cm (6ft) tall, inside leg 87cm (34.25 inch). In the store they say I am between a 19 inch and a 21 inch size, 19 inch would be a good choice for more sportive/playful behaviour (according to them), 21 inch for a more relaxed position (for longer rides), again, according to the store salesmen. They eventually advised a 21 inch, but in the end, it would be up to me. What size do you think I should go for? And why?

vickster

Legendary Member
Try them both, only you can decide. Generally if you’re between sizes, it’s better to go smaller. A too big bike cannot be made smaller and being too stretched can lead to issues with back, neck, arms (in my case it exacerbated tennis elbow which needed surgery to resolve)

A longer stem or layback seatpost can always be added if you need a little more reach from a smaller frame

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On an MTB better to go with the smaller option if you want to indulge in more 'playful behaviour' ^_^. I assume they mean going fast over tricky descents, you don't want to get caught out by the top bar. On a road bike I'd go the other way but you really need to try.

OP
OP
S

Stu100

Update,

1. I did a bike fitting
2. I am considering a fully, Cube Stereo Hybrid (also a eMTB)

The result of the bike fitting vs the 20" and 22" geometries of the Cube Stereo hybrid with 120mm travel (see images below).
Small mistake in the drawings of Cube, wheel size is in this case 29", not 27.5".
In the bike fitting session, the inside leg is now 89 cm, iso the previously mentioned 87 cm.

I consider two variants of the Cube Stereo Hybrid, same frame, equipped similarly, except for:
FOX34 120mm travel, carbon frame 29'' 23kg
of, FOX36 140mm travel alu frame 27.5'' 24.6kg

Q1. How can I interpret best the result of the bike fitting? Are there any extreme values, considering Length 183 cm - Inside leg 89 cm - Stack 621 mm - Reach 476 mm.
Q2. Comparing the bike fit with the cube drawings, which would be the best size? 20" or 22"?
Q3. Of the two Cube Stereo hybrid variants, which woçuld be the best choice?

My excuses for the metric units :blush:
Thank you for your input!
icon_e_smile.gif

XfJ16mr.png

R8DowsR.png

zzIcCM1.png

Top Bottom