Cube, Whyte, Specialized or Scott.....I have no idea.....you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adamba

Hi All,
Like many others, I'm getting back into riding my bike, spurred on by the kids mainly. We've been to a few places like Cannop cycle centre in the Forest of Dean and have ridden many bridle ways etc through Oxfordshire. Quite quickly I've come to realise that my 10 year old Giant Yukon (dont laugh too loud) isnt quite what it once was!

I've spent hours reading articles and figured that I now need to askt he guys that actually know. So here goes......I'm happy to spend about £1,000 ish. I've got as far as knowing I'd like a hardtail as I think that ticks the box for the sort of cycling we've been doing and will do (am I right based on the above?)

From there, I've got as far as the brands Cube, Whyte, Specialized and Scott. But that's where my knowledge ends and I start talking myself one way or the other, but for no real reason. I think I get the feeling that Cube may offer better componentry, but Whyte a better frame? Any help is greatly appreciated......I'm sure you've answered this question before, so thanks in advance for your help this time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which actual models and are they available in your size? Bike availability is low right now, so check what yiu can get to shorten the list potentially.
I’d say for a hardtail, frame and fork are the key bits and most costly to change, so focus on those. And try to test ride

All uphill

Still rolling along
What is it about your Giant that you feel is inadequate?

For what you describe I would have thought it fine.

If you just fancy something new then buy the bike that you can test, fits, is available and appeals to you.

OP
OP
A

Adamba

Which actual models and are they available in your size? Bike availability is low right now, so check what yiu can get to shorten the list potentially.
I’d say for a hardtail, frame and fork are the key bits and most costly to change, so focus on those. And try to test ride
Thanks for the tip on frame and forks.

OP
OP
A

Adamba

What is it about your Giant that you feel is inadequate?

For what you describe I would have thought it fine.

If you just fancy something new then buy the bike that you can test, fits, is available and appeals to you.
Hi, very simply the old giant is old and worn, not really maintained. Thanks for the pointers.

D

Deleted member 23692

Get new parts fitted?
That is what I did with my (now) 9 year old MTB, going from a boring old 29 speed triple XC

LTD Race 09-14 - Copy - Copy.jpg

to a longer slacker 1x10 speed and far more playful bike. Much more fun :okay:
(only the crank and frame remain from the original bike)

now.jpg

All for for around what you're looking to spend... and you might not want stuff like a colour change, dropper post, slackeriser headset

Top Bottom