Cupboard hinges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
My first DIY job of 2015 and I have admitted defeat......... for a while.

The hinges on one of our kitchen cabinet doors have gone out of adjustment. I can get the door square to the cabinet but I cannot get it to close and stay closed. You feel resistance when the door is about 45 degrees open, then when pushed closed it just springs open again. The trouble happened fairly quickly so I suspect something has actually broken, they are about 20 years old! I think I will get a new pair of hinges, they are cheap enough.
It is one of these types of hinges by the way in case we have hinge experts on board.

Hinge_zps25aa31a8.jpg

young Ed

Veteran
yeah, those hinges only cost a couple of quid or so so i vote just replace
i know they contain a spring or two or what ever and over 20 i haven't a doubt that they could well snap
Cheers Ed

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Its a 'blum' hinge and has probably slipped on the sliding part loosen the screw with the slot and move it out a bit then retighten, it may be one or both need adjusting and if you need a new one be aware that there are different sizes so take the old one to match it up.
EDIT - I'm not a hinge 'expert' but I do have a City And Guilds as a Cabinetmaker. :biggrin:

Basil.B

Guru
Those hinges are a bloody nightmare! :wacko:
I spent hours fixing one, a few years ago. Has happened a few times since.
It might not be broken, a pin on the inside has probably come out of position.
They are very fiddly though.
I got a problem with a cupboard door at the moment, like you only opens to about 45 degrees. trying to summon enough willpower to try and fix it.

young Ed

Veteran
with such small, incredibly cheap and widely available things such as these hinges it's just not worth messing about with them, just chuck 'em in the bin and buy new ones :smile:
Cheers Ed

stephec

Legendary Member
If you're not sure what to do with them the best bet is to make an adjustment to one screw at a time.

After you've adjusted it close the door and see what difference it's made.

Once you've done this a few times you should get an idea of what adjustments you need to make to get the door in the position you want.

This method does work, I know as I did it the first time I came across one of them. :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Something to try:

1. The hinge itself is attached to a die casting on the cupboard carcase by a screw through the 'arm' of the hinge. This is the screw furthest from the hinge.
  2. Loosen the screw furthest from the hinge through the arms of both hinges and move the cupboard door out from the carcase as far as possible and retighten.
  3. If the door will close and stay closed then there's nothing wrong with the internal springing.
  4. Incrementally loosen the far screws and edge the door forwards retightening the screws until the door will just stay shut and then make appropriate adjustments until you are happy with the closing action.
  5. The screws in the hinge arm nearest to the hinge are used to adjust the vertical alignment of the door when it is shut. (it might be worth while loosening these before you attempt to fix the closing action)
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Something to try:

1. The hinge itself is attached to a die casting on the cupboard carcase by a screw through the 'arm' of the hinge. This is the screw furthest from the hinge.
  2. Loosen the screw furthest from the hinge through the arms of both hinges and move the cupboard door out from the carcase as far as possible and retighten.
  3. If the door will close and stay closed then there's nothing wrong with the internal springing.
  4. Incrementally loosen the far screws and edge the door forwards retightening the screws until the door will just stay shut and then make appropriate adjustments until you are happy with the closing action.
  5. The screws in the hinge arm nearest to the hinge are used to adjust the vertical alignment of the door when it is shut. (it might be worth while loosening these before you attempt to fix the closing action)
Hope this helps.

Thanks Vernon. I did as you suggested and the door still wouldn't close, and if I push it closed it just opens again. I am going to Wilkes in the morning to get some new hinges which hopefully should sort it. If not, ordinary hinges and a magnetic catch may be a way forward.

These bungalows where I live are being demolished soon so I am reluctant to spend too much!

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Bought two new hinges this morning whilst out from Wilkes. I had to drill new pilot holes in the door as the securing holes didn't quite match the old ones, but the hinges went on easily and were perfect without any adjustment needed. Can't be bad.

Top Bottom