Cupini frame? Colmo fork? Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlasgowAli

Hi all,
Sorry, another mystery frame that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.
I was given this frame for free. The previous owner had it hanging on the wall for years but knew nothing about it.
Cupini seem to have been a Rotterdam-based frame builder, but I can't find much information about them at all. The fork is Colmo. I understand they were a bike supplier for a team in the '79 tour, but again I can't find much information about them.
Some details that may be of interest:
- Ofmega 36x24 BB
- Arius suede saddle
- Gian Robert shifters
I'm just interested to know a bit more about the bike, and whether the tubing is good enough to warrant building the bike up. The paintwork is shocking. Based on some areas of flaking it looks like it was originally all gold.
Cheers,
Ali

carpenter

Über Member
I like it and would get the paint work redone (or at least see whether the black stuff can be removed with a bit of solvent).

It may be more fruitful to look up "Colmo" (was "Cupini" a reseller?).
Have you seen these:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/776870-colmo-frame-anyone-seen-before.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1040331-what-wife-don-t-know-won-t-hurt-her-thread-3.html

OP
OP
GlasgowAli

GlasgowAli

Hi Carpenter,
Haha, thanks. It's a lot of fun, and has definitely helped get me through lockdown. Living in a big city like Glasgow is a big advantage of course as we have such a buoyant second hand market. It's a great cycling city too, so there are just generally lots of bikes around.
Thanks for those links. I had seen them before, as they essentially represent the sum total of what's out there online. I was hoping the names might jog somebody's memory but recognise a long shot.
Agree, it seems most likely that it's a Colmo frame and Cupini were the seller (maybe an Italian bike shop owner based in Rotterdam?). I'll work away at the paint and see if there are any clues below. It looks like it's been painted with Hammerite :cry:

Top Bottom