Curb Pavement Cyclists!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yer good point, the only thing that really annoys me is that when the pavement is split for walkers and cyclists, sometimes i will be riding along in the cycle lane and a group of people or a family will be spread out over both paths and they will see me coming and it is only at the last minute that they will give me a little room ( right on the edge of the path) to get by. i dont expect them to just walk on their side but it would be nice to let cyclists use the whole cyclist lane.

That's the otherside of the knife, pedestrians who need to be a bit more weary of cyclists, some people dont even look left and right at a cycle path and just walk out with their family, which is why i always focus when im on a cycle lane, you never know when someones going to walk out or a kid will edge into the path. And if somebody walks out in front of me i'm usually quite polite, I find that they then remember about the cycle path :laugh:

jack shepherd

That's the otherside of the knife, pedestrians who need to be a bit more weary of cyclists, some people dont even look left and right at a cycle path and just walk out with their family, which is why i always focus when im on a cycle lane, you never know when someones going to walk out or a kid will edge into the path. And if somebody walks out in front of me i'm usually quite polite, I find that they then remember about the cycle path :laugh:

very good point

Sham69

Über Member
Rarely do I cycle on the pavement. The only time has been when traffic lights at the end of a particular bus lane don't respond to me and my bicycle. I guess the lights only change when an in-built detection system 'sees' a large lump of metal (i.e. a bus) and that ain't me. I sat there like a pratt for minutes the first time, before giving up and bumping up the kerb for the final 30 metres of my journey. I dismount and walk the bike if there are any pedestrians nearby.

We surely all know of sections of road that feel dangerous to cycle on. What's the harm in using the pavement provided it's pedestrian free at the time (as it invariably is round these parts, no-one walks anymore).

Exactly! All too often one mentions pavement cycling and some have a vision of innocent pedestrians jumping out of the path of a weaving and winding bicycle in fear of their lives... but that is not the reality of my pavement cycling.

Technically it is illegal... but i've read on the internet, that the police are advised to only tackle pavement cyclists who are causing a nuisance to others... even if that is the case, there's still going to be the odd jumped up plod who'll disregard this (possibly fictitious) advice for no other reason than slapping an FPN on somebody just because they can... proceed with caution and check for the plod first is my advice.

The advice was from the then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng

The Government had introduced spot fines for cycling on the pavement, but Boateng's statement was:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users. "Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

aces_up1504

Is some going to tell me that my near 4 year old can not ride his bike with stabilisers on, that he should ride on the road doing 1-2mph?

Obviously no one would put in a child in that situation.

I think there should be a balence point: Children under a certain age say 10 to 12 should be allowed to use the pavement. Then on it should be expected a person on a bike should use the road. Nothing worse than seeing a 20-30sum person riding on a pavement when there is road empty next to them.

aces_up1504

I refer you to post #39... :rolleyes:

But in the eyes of the law they could still give a spot penalty if they so wished. So what's you point?

But the main aim of my post should be that it should be legal for young children to use the pavement and not require discretion.

Richard Mann

You can't give an FPN to anyone under 16, IIRC.

The German situation is different - under 8 you "have" to ride on the pavement, age 8-12 you have the choice, age 12+ you have to ride on the road. The level of enforcement is about the same as the UK, but at least they don't rely on an 1835 Act about driving horses & carriages!

aces_up1504

You can't give an FPN to anyone under 16, IIRC.

The German situation is different - under 8 you "have" to ride on the pavement, age 8-12 you have the choice, age 12+ you have to ride on the road. The level of enforcement is about the same as the UK, but at least they don't rely on an 1835 Act about driving horses & carriages!

Sounds very sensible

Top Bottom