Curb Pavement Cyclists!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I believe the same adults who pavement cycle are the same adults who RLJ.
wrong.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No. I definitely do believe that. ;)

And it ain't blind faith, I've seen it often enough.

I admit to the occasional small pavement cycling, an alleyway to cut through between two roads (avoids a longer route using main roads, and hills), across a pavement at the end of cycling on the common etc. (Probably adds up to a total of 30 metres max for any one day). I don't choose to go on the pavement normally as the road is usually far quicker and safer. However I don't jump red lights.

veloevol

Evo Lucas
It's probably illegal but I also cycle on the pavement but only when carrying my child. Which I do often through the week on the school run. My default speed is very slow, try not to cycle too close to people and to stop to let children or the elderly pass us.

Guess I'd call this shared-space considerate-cycling.

Not at all sure if it is truly illegal or not.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's probably illegal but I also cycle on the pavement but only when carrying my child. Which I do often through the week on the school run. My default speed is very slow, try not to cycle too close to people and to stop to let children or the elderly pass us.

Guess I'd call this shared-space considerate-cycling.

Not at all sure if it is truly illegal or not.

Exactly! All too often one mentions pavement cycling and some have a vision of innocent pedestrians jumping out of the path of a weaving and winding bicycle in fear of their lives... but that is not the reality of my pavement cycling.

Technically it is illegal... but i've read on the internet, that the police are advised to only tackle pavement cyclists who are causing a nuisance to others... even if that is the case, there's still going to be the odd jumped up plod who'll disregard this (possibly fictitious) advice for no other reason than slapping an FPN on somebody just because they can... proceed with caution and check for the plod first is my advice.

fabregas485

I had to go pass a red light onto a pavement on Thursday on my cycle home from work as someone coming up behind me did not look like they would stop in time.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
im a pav ement cyclist! that said its when leading three special needs lads on there bikes, out rules are follow me and give way to any peds.this keeps them alive why en rount to our nearest off road sustrans route.its not cycling on the pavement that is a prob, but doing it inapropriately,and without due care and concideration.when they are able we will move onto roads,(we are on quite one allready)

jack shepherd

im also a pavement cyclist, as i get scared riding on roads, but i always make sure that i give way or hop onto the road when i approach pedestrians, sometimes they stop and move over to one side, if they do i usually speed up to not waste their time and i always thank them

jack shepherd

People who are considerate on the pavement and cycle with care, thats totally fine.. what I dont agree with is the people on bmx's pushing 15 mph weaving inbetween prams etc
i remember one time i pulled over onto the grass to let a young family go by only to have 2 bmx'ers rush by me almost taking out the little girl by the pram, im 16 but i still respect the rules of the paths

i remember one time i pulled over onto the grass to let a young family go by only to have 2 bmx'ers rush by me almost taking out the little girl by the pram, im 16 but i still respect the rules of the paths
i'm 16 aswell, and when I used to ride on the pavement people I felt like i had to set a example to people who are actually older and still ride carelessly, at the end of the day, they will end up the one getting into trouble when they skim past someone who is not in a good mood

jack shepherd

i'm 16 aswell, and when I used to ride on the pavement people I felt like i had to set a example to people who are actually older and still ride carelessly, at the end of the day, they will end up the one getting into trouble when they skim past someone who is not in a good mood
yer good point, the only thing that really annoys me is that when the pavement is split for walkers and cyclists, sometimes i will be riding along in the cycle lane and a group of people or a family will be spread out over both paths and they will see me coming and it is only at the last minute that they will give me a little room ( right on the edge of the path) to get by. i dont expect them to just walk on their side but it would be nice to let cyclists use the whole cyclist lane.

Top Bottom