Curly bars for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a Viking sprint road bike which already has curly bars (sorry don't know the name). From the straight handle bar bit to where the brake levers are is about 120-150mm away. I could do with this being shorter. Is this possible? I've seen photos of bikes where the brake lever looks almost immediately after the straight bit. They looked more like handle bat ends I used to have on my MtB. Would a photo help or do you know what I mean? After the brake lever the curly bit still goes down and under so they arent bull bars.

Anyway I want one. If someone has a spare ill take that or if you can tell me what I'm looking for I'll try eBay.

Cheers

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
These bars are known as "drops" and are available in a number of different shapes and sizes.

Try looking for "compact" versions: the radius of the bend is smaller so the brake mounting point will be closer to the flats (the straight part either side of the stem).

Why do you want them? If you are finding it a bit of a stretch to the brakes then a shorter stem may be a better solution.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Compact bars are what you are looking for. Looks for something short and shallow! Most brands offer a compact bar. Example's that spring to mind are the 3T Ergonova, Zipp Service Course in short and shallow and "super short and shallow" versions.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There are 2 most common (there are some other odd examples) clamp sizes. Standard road clamp is 26mm, Oversize or OS is 31.8mm. You will need to measure your current bars and buy one with the same diameter clamp area, else you will need to buy a new stem also. OS bars are increasingly common these days and IMO, for good reason.

Top Bottom