Current recommended basic wireless computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A friend is buying a Pashley, and I want to get her a basic wireless computer for it. Something small and discreet, so it won't look too out of place. Really the only functions that matter are a constant odometer (for total mileage done on it) and trip odometer. Wireless because wires would just look wrong on that bike. :-)

What does the panel recommend?

aJohnson

Well if you want something small the Cateye Strada Wireless is very small, easy to use and wont look out of place, aswell as being reliable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cateye Wireless Strada.

Mine is a year old, and it has never let me down.

OK, it seriously underestimates my top speed, average speed, and all the rest, but I have a ghastly suspicion that it might actually be telling the truth. :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Does it have to be wireless? I gave up on them and went back to wired a couple of years ago. I use MyCyclingLog to record how much quicker I'm getting (yeah right!!!) and I found that entering work through our touch pass system, the wireless got completely screwed up and messed up my timings (eg max speed of 65mph, average of 24mph etc) . I don't know what else will affect them but there's probably a few things.

Just my tuppence

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yep, definitely wants to be wireless, and looks like the Strada has the unanimous vote, so the Strada it shall be. Thanks, all.

j66

Ben Lovejoy said:

And it's £10.00 cheaper at Tredz - got mine last week...

peteoc

I've got the cateye wireless and it's spot on. I've also got a GPS unit and they're the same with regards to distance, top speed etc. If anything the cat eye is better as it is pretty accurate as to when I've stopped in relation to running time. The GPS unit carries on for around 10 seconds extra.

1 issue I do have with the cateye, is that to reset your stats it's simply hold down the unit which resets the stats. I have done this a number of times by accident. You'll know what I mean when you get it, but this issue is small in comparison to how good it actually is.

Top Bottom