Currently looking for recommendations for a steel-framed folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starleyrover

Greetings. I am looking for a second-hand geared folder with 20" wheels for my daily commute. Currently I like the look of the Dahon D7 and P8, but wondered if anyone had further suggestions. I don't like the ride on a Brompton. I am six foot, heavy build, and hence the need for a steel bike. Thanks for reading

Kell

Veteran
What is it you don't like about Bromptons?

I only ask as I was against them to begin with and tried several bikes before getting my Brompton. Now I wouldn't trade it for pretty much anything.

OP
OP
starleyrover

starleyrover

Thanks for the reply. We used to have a Brompton for pool use in my previous job, so I have gone some distance on one. It was okay, but I much prefer the ride on 20" wheels.

Kell

Veteran
It's weird isn't it - I test rode the Dahon Speed P8 (back in 2009) and really didn't like it. It was quick, but did not feel solid in any way.

In the end I bought the Dahon Matrix (26" wheeled version).

Last edited:

reppans

I own both... the P8 has been a decent reliable bike, but of course, nowhere near the Brompton in terms of folding/folded practicality - so for me, it's pretty much a car-trunk/lock-up-outside bicycle. It rides nicely, and the larger ballon tires have better floatation on gravel/dirt, but the 2 extra quick releases for the steering stem/handlebar introduces a lot more slop into the system which makes it feel less solid and cheap - although that doesn't significantly affect performance.

The Brompton is more comfortable for me to ride longer distances (suspension offsetting ballon tires or large diameter wheels) and it's my become my favorite touring bike due to its versatility - rigging an aero drop position in my M bars was also a big tipping point, next time I'll go with the P bars. I also have a good gravel bike and MTB, but am interested in downsizing my life and will only keep the Brompton.

26799344070_583ec7cf04_z.jpg

It's weird isn't it - I test rode the Dahon Speed P8 (back in 2009) and really didn't like it. It was quick, but did not feel solid in any way.

In the end I bought the Dahon Matrix (26" wheeled version).
They do take a little bit of getting used to but they are soooooo much fun compared to blah blah blah!!!!!

I own both... the P8 has been a decent reliable bike, but of course, nowhere near the Brompton in terms of folding/folded practicality - so for me, it's pretty much a car-trunk/lock-up-outside bicycle. It rides nicely, and the larger ballon tires have better floatation on gravel/dirt, but the 2 extra quick releases for the steering stem/handlebar introduces a lot more slop into the system which makes it feel less solid and cheap - although that doesn't significantly affect performance.

The Brompton is more comfortable for me to ride longer distances (suspension offsetting ballon tires or large diameter wheels) and it's my become my favorite touring bike due to its versatility - rigging an aero drop position in my M bars was also a big tipping point, next time I'll go with the P bars. I also have a good gravel bike and MTB, but am interested in downsizing my life and will only keep the Brompton.

View attachment 396720
the P8 is a big and heavy fold. fun ride tho!

simongt

Guru
I only ask as I was against them to begin with and tried several bikes before getting my Brompton. Now I wouldn't trade it for pretty much anything.
Agree. We had a Giant Halfway and a Dahon folder before selling them on and buying a pair of Bromptons. :thumbsup: Now we wouldn't have anything else. Bromptons have been specifically designed for the purpose they serve and this is constantly reviewed and improved as required. All other folders are a compromise built by multinational companies. :thumbsdown: Nuff said.

Top Bottom