Custom Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

is it possible AND easy to customise yourself a cassette!!??

i currently ride shimano 105 10spd, but i ideally want 11-26! but ther is only 12-27, 12-25 or 11-23 (i think!)

so, can i do it? and would i have to buy and waste about 3 cassettes to do it?

thanks

MichaelM

Guru
About the same price as 3 Shimano cassettes!

But you can buy indidual sprockets. Maybe buy the 26 and drop a cog from your own?

Will1985

Über Member
Shimano doesn't do 26t sprockets....SRAM does! In fact wiggle say they sell an 11-26 10spd cassette (on order) for £48.

See this: http://www.velonews.com/article/72395. Although this chap says that it might not work, I found a couple of threads on bikeforums.net where people have done it successfully with an HG freehub.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the problem these days - no chance of getting exactly what you want. You'll probably be able to build up a custom cassette if you've had a few cassettes over the years as you'll only wear out certain sprockets - for me it 15,16,17 mainly !

OP
OP
S

steve23

Shimano doesn't do 26t sprockets

so does this mean even on my 12-27 cassette, it goes from 25 to 27 at the top?

thanks

Will1985

Über Member
Yes - at the larger end of a cassette, it becomes at least a 2 tooth gap and usually 3 for an even numbered tooth big sprocket, so your 11-26 would be [11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26].

The exception is a 12-21 which is a straight up 1 tooth increment used by some timetriallists.

fossyant

You don't need 1 tooth steps after a 21 I'd say - 21,23,25,27... or even 3 tooth increment to the last gear as a bail out !

Although my largest rear is 21 on the road bikes as I like the straight through block as much as possible - go straight 1 tooth increments to 19 then a 21....but I'm an ex TT'er !!!

OP
OP
S

steve23

im going to try 11-25 then. its just i thought it was a 26 on mine!!! obv not, but thats solved a problem, as i dont think i have ever used the 27!

i just like to spin up hills, so thought a 26 would be ideal for a bail out!

25 should be fine though!

thanks for your help!

fossyant

What's on the front , as I've got a 53 x 39 and a 53 x 13 hardly ever gets used going down hill ..... just not needed - so an 11 - you could get a 13 then get a 'flatter' block' ?

fossyant

Here is an example.....

On the flat (ish) I'll use 53 x 19,18,17,16,15 most of the time, on the hills/ climbs it will be 39 x 16,17,18,19,21 - the overlap is 53 x 19 and 39 x 17 - both about the same (don't quote me).... the 13-15 are on descents, and in the Peak, they usually aren't that long and need lots of cornering, so an 11 or 12 is wasted on me and I have 8 speed.... and I'm not a spinner....

Top Bottom