Custom head tube badges?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Just looking at the link in Yellow Fang's female cycle geeks thread, and I got head tube badge envy. I've polished an unbranded frame and have been troubled by a vague feeling that it needs something. And now I know what it is. Anyone know where I can get one on this side of the Atlantic?

Make one!

I'm having some Leicester Cycle Co ones made
qso4lj.jpg

but they are going to be bloody expensive. I did have a quote of around £25 to have a design engraved on a brass plate.

Like Mickle says, make something.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hilldodger said:
I'm having some Leicester Cycle Co ones made

but they are going to be bloody expensive. I did have a quote of around £25 to have a design engraved on a brass plate.

Like Mickle says, make something.

Very nice. I still have no idea how to go about making one, though. Well, I'm sure I could botch something, but botched isn't quite what I was after. Am I being a bit thick? Does everyone else create small masterpieces in metal with ease?

theclaud said:
Very nice. I still have no idea how to go about making one, though. Well, I'm sure I could botch something, but botched isn't quite what I was after. Am I being a bit thick? Does everyone else create small masterpieces in metal with ease?

It took me ages to find the guy who's making mine and he only agreed to make a small number because he really believes in what Cyclemagic does.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You could either:

Go to a custom frame builders' place and ask 'em to fettle you something; or

Go to somewhere like a trophymaker's outfit and ask themk then get it riveted on, OR,

Get a piece of 2mm stainless, draw your design, get busy with the hacksaw and file and get that riveted on.

lukepinkhandbag

I've just got a brand new kona sutra and one of the nice things about it is it has a proper head badge not a decal. I've been trying to get a head badge for my claud but they're daft money whenthey come up on ebay so going withdecal.....though I may try and make one now....when I've got a spare 48 hours!!

Or you could all order custom built Leicester Cycle Co bikes and get a FREE head tube badge thrown in with the price:biggrin:

simples.

P.H

Über Member
If you're after for a modern look, chemical etching is worth looking at. Not bike stuff but I've seen some nice stuff done on stainless steel. There's a few guides to doing it yourself, though I've not tried it.

Christopher

Über Member
A trophy shop should be able to engrave a message onto a bit of metal for a nominal fee.

Irrelevant to tc's question, but I loved the headbages on 60s/70s Schwinns: not only metal but rivetted to the frame. Very distinctive.
My commute nail, a very ordinary Dawes from 1983, has a really smart headbadge. It would have a cool paintjob too, if it wasn't two-tone brown.

Frustruck said:
A trophy shop should be able to engrave a message onto a bit of metal for a nominal fee.

Trouble is, getting a piece of brass the right size and shape, they tend to use stuff that is stamped out in huge numbers and they don't suit head badges.

jezusjonz

Ive been making badges for a little while now outof brass and copper if requested...I use a etching system that works pretty good. I've done a few for friends and people building one off bikes. I tried to make them affordable for anyone. Heres a reproduction of one I did that the original was damaged.
Terry

Top Bottom