Customer App Bike Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andie

Hi Guys
I am working on a project for a course that requires me to conduct participant interviews about cycling - I have been asked to design a customer services bike shop app, ( I choose this prompt as I’m a keen cyclist and really enjoy mountain biking). I would really appreciate your comments and feedback. See questions below. Thank you for your time
  1. How often do you interact with a bicycle shop? Can you describe some of your common reasons for doing this?
  2. What challenges did you face when you interacted with the bicycle shop?
  3. How did this make you feel? Is there any way you think these challenges could be resolved?
  4. What are the main reasons you enjoy cycling and how often do you cycle?

classic33

Leg End Member
At present, the local bike shop has more work than it can handle in the same time period. A two hour repair has gone into days, booked in beforehand.
They are still giving priority to key workers, which I agree with.

Reasons for going to a bike shop.
Spares, now high on impossible
Wheels, truing, tyres and innertubes
I ride an odd cycle for the area, and I use heavier innertubes than most folk.

They've never said they can't "do that" if I've gone in with a repair.

I cycle because I enjoy it. The odd cycles used by myself have been used as load carriers.

Hi Guys
I am working on a project for a course that requires me to conduct participant interviews about cycling - I have been asked to design a customer services bike shop app, ( I choose this prompt as I’m a keen cyclist and really enjoy mountain biking). I would really appreciate your comments and feedback. See questions below. Thank you for your time
  1. How often do you interact with a bicycle shop? Can you describe some of your common reasons for doing this?
When I need to, for spares or repairs.
  1. What challenges did you face when you interacted with the bicycle shop?
Once a request for a service was delayed as an encouragement to upgrade.
With a friend I found one LBS to be quite cliquey and snooty. Lots of terminology with little explanation.

1. How did this make you feel? Is there any way you think these challenges could be resolved?
In my case above it made me rather annoyed. A business agrees to do X by Y date it should. I pointed out that unreliability was not a good look and told him where I worked. Problem solved.

In general, enthusiasts are not always great "service" people. A great cyclist or mechanic could probably benefit from customer service training.

1. What are the main reasons you enjoy cycling and how often do you cycle?
I cycle nearly every day. I enjoy it for exercise and for travel.

OP
OP
A

Andie

At present, the local bike shop has more work than it can handle in the same time period. A two hour repair has gone into days, booked in beforehand.

I cycle because I enjoy it. The odd cycles used by myself have been used as load carriers.
Thanks for responses - much appreciated. Have a nice day

OP
OP
A

Andie

Thanks for your responses and enjoy your evening

Drago

Legendary Member
1. Rarely, im fairly self sufficient.
2. Never. I went to school with the proprietor so get first class service.
3. My only complaint is they give me plain chocolate digestives when I prefer the milk choccy ones.
4. Health at the moment, otherwise no real challenges or barriers.

OP
OP
A

Andie

Thanks for your responses- I’ll see what I can do on the chocolate biscuit front 😅

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Rarely now, maybe once a year, possibly even less. Usually when I have a job I can't or don't want to do myself or I need some part or other (although I'm more likely to just buy on eBay now). Last time I went it was because I needed a bike box, I bought some shoes while I was there.
I got used to my local shop, just dropping in and asking questions, buying stuff too- I wasn't that bad- and then it closed down so now it's difficult because I don't really know the staff at the next nearest shop or what they do, whether they can build wheels and that sort of thing. It's not the same.
  1. How did this make you feel? Is there any way you think these challenges could be resolved?
Like the Woody Allen character trying to re-create the lobster incident in Annie Hall.
It's a good way to go to work and to the shops. Five or six days a week.

OP
OP
A

Andie

Mybe we need to review how new & existing bike shops engage with their community - Thanks for you feedback 🚴🏻‍♀️🚴‍♂

IaninSheffield

Veteran
  2. What challenges did you face when you interacted with the bicycle shop?
  3. How did this make you feel? Is there any way you think these challenges could be resolved?
  4. What are the main reasons you enjoy cycling and how often do you cycle?
  1. Rarely, these days. I try to do as much maintenance as I can, thereby hopefully being able to cope with any mech problems I might encounter whilst out on the road. I have a local bike shop where I used to take occasional problems which defeated me.
  2. Whilst the staff in the LBS appear knowledgeable, I don't find them reliable. For example, when I mentioned I was looking for a new bike, they suggested a potential solution which seemed to meet my my needs and for which i could specify my build. When I emailed them those details - as they'd asked - I didn't even get an acknowledgement of receipt. I subsequently bought elsewhere. In the past, when at other bike shops and dealers I've had a mixed bag of experiences, some incredibly positive when staff were prepared to listen to my needs and act according to them, rather than providing what they thought I ought to have.
  3. I find it incredibly frustrating when you're keen to provide them with business and they don't have adequate customer service skills to be able to help you. Due to the example above, they lost not only that sale, but my continued business. Perhaps in a small business, staff development and customer service are not priorities ... or even feasible?
  4. Cycling provides physical and mental benefits for me. It confers a degree of fitness, a sense of well being and a joy of the outdoors. When touring, I'm often cycling every day, though more usually, I cycle every other day, alternating it with running. I most enjoy traveling along lanes I've never used before and which I might not otherwise have come across - 'the way less trod'

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I tend to be self sufficient, but I have mixed feelings about my LBSs.
The closest LBS does excellent work, but his love of bikes and getting things not just right but perfect, means when you take your bike in, it really is fingers crossed if it comes back when he says, because of his obsession with detail, either with your own bike or the ones he had planned on dealing with before yours. I never thought this business model would work when he started up, but he has more work than he can handle, from shoppers to some seriously gorgeous and expensive bikes passing through his hands.
Another LBS give the impression of happy to deal with expensive bikes, or the brand for which they are dealers, but anything else come across as, "If we must..", but they will do the work. They for example, helped sort me out replacement hub for a mid 80's Raleigh hybrid, when I wasn't sure which way to turn.
The third one is Halfords. Customer service ranged from poor to awful. The the last time I used them was to replace a spoke.The wheel was handed back to me with a silver spoke in a wheel of black spokes. :banghead:For me to use them again would require a purchase I could not get elsewhere at their price.
Cycle to commute (pre lockdown) and health.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Rarely. When I do its to get a spare part urgently.
If they need to order a part in, they don’t get back in touch with you when it arrives.
Given up on waiting and ordered online as haven’t heard from them. They lose the sale. Simply need to get back in touch.
It is just great riding round the lanes and hills. Super relaxing and living in the moment. Fitness and health comes with it , but I ride simply because I enjoy it.

Top Bottom