I need your input in my project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Knot

Hi there,
As part of my GCSE design and technology project, I have made a cargo bike trailer which would be used by local electricians, plumbers and car valeter.
Let me know what you think. The aesthetics and its downfalls.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.20.51.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.20.51.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.21.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.21.06.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.21.15.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.21.15.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.48.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.48.33.png
    61 KB · Views: 9

Joffey

Big Dosser
I like it! I am not an electrician though so no sure if the tools would fit but as a trailer it's really good 👍

FrothNinja

Veteran
Not sure how in depth you are going but here are a few things to think about.
You need to consider security, braking, handling, visibility (colour could help), stability when unhitched.
Consider setting it up so that one of the doors could be used as a working surface.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
The axel looks a bit far back, what kind of load will the trailer carry and how much of that load will be on the hitch? Also, If the trailer is loaded wrong you don’t want the hitch load to go too light ( or negative).

I have noticed that a lot of trailer hitches attach to the wheel stay on the left side of the bike, right back near the axel. I don’t know which is better but it would keep the load from the hitch low on the bike.

Fritz budgie agreeas with Anne budgie (check the avitars) the trailer needs to lock, it might be nice if it were somehow lockable to the bike and a wheel lock might also be nice. Because I no longer trust anybody.

Be sure the wheels/tires are common and easily serviceable, there’s nothing worse than your equipment being down because of a weird part that no one carrys.

If the trailer is going to weigh a lot you might consider brakes for it... or an anchor. I’ve seen heavy work trailers on e-bikes, but those tend to come with better brakes.

Sorry.... retired engineer syndrome...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Note on design, your 'open' shot doesn't show the wheel and wheel arches, so you might need a slight design change to the centre of the trailer to accomodate that. Maybe make it modular so the drawer system can be removed so there is just an empty space as an option - would help if they needed the trailer for bilky items. Possibly a removeable top. Make is as multi-use as ossible, and lockable.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
In principle you are well on the way I think. May I suggest looking at 'trailer tents' as comparison to see how the internal fixtures fold and you may be able to incorporate a bench among other useful odds and sods. Fold down legs definitely as well and bigger wheels.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would think a seat post is not designed to take the weight of the trailer and the tools. A lower attachment at rear axel of bike. Also if going downhill the trailer may try to overtake the bike. A braking system may be necessary

Drago

Legendary Member
Larger wheels would roll better, but at the expense of storage volume if they're integrated into the box structure.

Speaking of volume...you have a fair bit there. You could incorporate a motor and battery into there with little loss of carrying capacity and make it into a 'pusher' trailer, spare the legs of hard working, Benson smoking sparkies across the land.

A couple of thoughts.....
There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance at the wheels. That could be an issue with kerbs or even sunken drains.
Mirrors on the handlebars of the bike might help the rider both to see back and give an indication of clearance.
Have a look at ExtraWheel trailers. They use an interesting hitching system attached to a proprietary quick release that allows for automatic disengagement in case of accident. I think your current system will be putting too much strain on a regular bike where it is not designed for it.
If there's heavy gear in there it should be stored as low down as possible and I agree with all suggestions of a brake.

If you take a wander on YouTuve you will find a lot of trailers for bikes including minicaravans and even a bike/boat/camper hybrid!

Please come back and tell us more about your objectives.

Top Bottom