Cut Tyre - On the Inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
I noticed a small bulge on my front tyre today (Vittoria Diamante Pro - about 4 months old). It was only minor and barely noticeable if I hadn't been checking the tyres over. So I checked the tyre on the outside for damage - but found nothing. Not even a scratch.

However, on the inside there is a small (3-4mm), clean cut, going through the innermost threads. The inner tube was fine with no debris that could have caused the cut. I fixed a patch over the cut and the bulge has gone.

So far I haven't had a single problem with these tyres and can't fathom how they managed to cut from the inside. As I've said, no punctures, pinch flats etc.

Could this be a manufacturing fault? Anyone with experience of this?

e-rider

crappy member
did you use tyre levers to put them on?

if not, it was probably already in there when you got the tyre - a bit late to send it back now.

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
Tyre levers! I am a man and use my bare hands:laugh: (they go on/off quite easily TBH)

I'll probably put this tyre on the back for now and keep an eye on it.

Otherwise I can't fault them. No visibile cuts, hardly any sign of wear. Probably the best tyre I've used (in the price bracket).

e-rider

crappy member
never used them myself as I always go for michelin pro 3s - it's a case of being happy with them so don't even bother to look at anything else - lazy really.

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
Tynan said:
you take tyres off the rim with your bare hands?
Erm ... Yep.
It's not that hard once you master the 'technique' - use your thumbs to push the tyre off the rim. Having sausage fingers helps, or so I'm told:blush:

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
!

montage said:
Thinking of getting vittoria diamante pros.....how do they perform for you?
Sorry for being off topic
Apart from this issue, which I guess is an unlucky one-off, I have no problems with the Diamante Pro.

They're only about 1300miles old, but no punctures (yet:evil:), not even a scratch. And there is hardly any sign of wear. Even though I use them only in the, not so well maintained, lanes. I ride over two 'craters' every day, left from the remains of a couple of burnt out cars!, and they cope fine. Over a smashed bus shelter, after England's last match, no cuts ...

The casing is very grippy and supple. So they're relatively okay in the wet and reasonably comfortable at 110psi-front, 125-rear. At least I feel more confident cornering with them than most other tyres.

And they do roll fast! Very noticeable when I switched from Rubino Pro's.

The only downside I can think of is that, with having a not-so-hard rubber, they may get covered with melted tarmac when it gets too hot. I had this happen with some Conti's - not very nice.

When they need changing, I'll replace with the same.

manalog

Über Member
I had a pair of Diamanter Pros, great tyres, very light and good for climbing until I hit something sharp and slashed the side wall. Unless you are racing these tyres in my opinion is not great for commuting. They are too thin and I don't think they would have lasted that long. I moved on to Krylion Carbon much more robust and only approx 40 grams heavier.
BTW they make nice sound as if you are going faster.

Top Bottom