Cute wee lambs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

Arch said:
Glad to be of service!:sad:

Now then, do you want to know about the rubber bands and what they are used for?:biggrin:

Probably not, since you're a chap...

I think I can make an informed guess. Right now I have my legs crossed in sympathy! :biggrin:

surfgurl

One of our cleaners at work keeps sheep. She quite often has to nip home during lambing season. She appears a short while later having delivered the latest.

Melvil said:
Very informative post, Arch, has certainly taught me a thing or two!

A new job for Arch....

Careers adviser for sheep!

There must be a Government grant out there somewhere!

Arch said:
. If they come froma good bloodline, and show promise, they might get to be a breeding ram. But you only need one per flock

And one can get round a surprisingly large flock. I watched one last year and he seemed to be very happy in his work.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sheep factoid of the day. To help tell which ewes have been... serviced, the ram wears a sort of crayon in a harness on his chest, which rubs off on their backs (to tell when the deed was done, the colour can be changed each week or so). In the old days, it was a waxy red paste daubed on the ram's chest, called 'raddle' (from the old English for red).

I don't know, but I've wondered if that's where the term 'raddled' (to look tired and past your best) comes from...

Arch said:
Sheep factoid of the day. To help tell which ewes have been... serviced, the ram wears a sort of crayon in a harness on his chest, which rubs off on their backs (to tell when the deed was done, the colour can be changed each week or so). In the old days, it was a waxy red paste daubed on the ram's chest, called 'raddle' (from the old English for red).

I don't know, but I've wondered if that's where the term 'raddled' (to look tired and past your best) comes from...

It's basically a sort of little sack of some sort of powder dye. The farmer can round up those that haven't been served (usually the ugly ones B)) and (no, it's not what you think :smile: put them in a smallish area and get the tup in to resume work.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Patrick Stevens said:
It's basically a sort of little sack of some sort of powder dye. The farmer can round up those that haven't been served (usually the ugly ones B)) and (no, it's not what you think :smile: put them in a smallish area and get the tup in to resume work.
...whilst fending off the local lads with a pitchfork....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom