Cutting a carbon steerer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterdowning

Veteran
Planet X recommend maximum 40mm of spacers between the top of the headset and the bottom of the stem.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOPXEC130/planet-x-ec-130e-rivet-rider-carbon-aero-road-fork

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks very much for the lend. That makes more sense than cluttering the shed with a tool that doesn't get used much. I'll pm you in a couple of weeks. I'll cover your postage of course. Cheers, Mark

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On a related subject, what sort of top cap and bolt do you recommend. Would normal star type do the job, or are there other solutions which might be better for he planet x ec130?

Don’t even think about a star nut unless you plan on buying a new fork and possibly new teeth very soon.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Bought the bung btw. Thought this was a better design than the star type. I should keep a tally of the costs of the build up as I'm finding that the list of parts is growing! I'm learning quite a bit as well, which is the main reason I chose to do it.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Ah, right. I suspected star nuts were rubbish. Not a very robust design. It's great to choose each component on the bike. I've always bought pre-owned bikes in the past, and lived with other people's choices.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

I see, thanks. I didn't know that. My planet x pro carbon was fitted with a star nut by the previous owner.

Will Spin

Über Member
Good luck with the bike build. You may find the list of parts and hence the cost increasing, however in my experience the end result is much more satisfying than buying the completed bike.

Use the very finest and newest hacksaw blade you can find.
Put a couple of turns of good quality packing tape tight around the area being cut to help prevent untidy snags when the offcut starts to drop.
Set a vacuum cleaner nozzle close by the business end of the saw to eliminate any dust.
Let the saw do the work - especially as you near the end of the cut.
Use a super fine file or wet n dry paper to add a tiny chamfer to the inside and outside edges of the cut end. Keep the hoover running innit.

Top Bottom