Cutting back on cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi
just seen consultant and he found an issue with my knee (base of the IT band has degenerated :blink: , he blinded me with medical science a bit but yeah there is swelling etc, and pain)

i've been easing back off the cycling, but just wondering has anyone successfully moved to other forms of exercise and cut back on their cycling as a long term measure?
i'll miss the sportives and club runs but if i have to ease back to stop this becoming chronic guess i've no choice

:bicycle:

I've had classic IT band symptoms from running; fixed by reducing amount of running a bit plus doing a strength routine 3 times a week - may be worth seeing a physiotherapist if you can, as they generally seem better clued up on ways to get back into exercise again (as opposed to physicians who _generally_ seem more interested in just getting the symptom to go away even if that's by giving up the exercise you were doing...)

vickster

Legendary Member
hi
just seen consultant and he found an issue with my knee (base of the IT band has degenerated :blink: , he blinded me with medical science a bit but yeah there is swelling etc, and pain)

i've been easing back off the cycling, but just wondering has anyone successfully moved to other forms of exercise and cut back on their cycling as a long term measure?
i'll miss the sportives and club runs but if i have to ease back to stop this becoming chronic guess i've no choice

:bicycle:
I was told not to cycle or do anything else gym based a few years back when I was really struggling following a knee injury and surgery. I spent the whole summer swimming at least 3 times a week on the advice/agreement of the knee surgeon :smile:

Cycling now is broadly ok (did have another op after that summer though)

Did he offer you any treatment to help with the pain and swelling?

+1 on seeing a sports physio

Last edited:
OP
OP
NorthernSky
he said thankfully i don't need surgery but he has never seen a condition like mine, and he only does knees!
i've to go for an ultrasound next it seems, so will see if that shows anything different
will stick to the cut down runs and look at other exercise for now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did he suggest anything like platelet rich plasma injections for the inflammation and healing (may not be available on NHS though, and not cheap if have no private insurance)

I use the recumbent bike, crosstrainer and rower in the gym, but swimming really is kind for knees though as there's no impact

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep, cut back on mine but that's due to a busted back. Getting back into it, but I wont be commuting by bike. Is cycling actually irritating it ?

OP
OP
NorthernSky
i'm nearly sure it's the cycling, i can feel the pressure when i pedal.
the consultant has left it to the next guy to maybe give me an injection. if it helps reduce inflammation i'd be ok with that

vickster

Legendary Member
The next guy??

Presumably be a steroid, be prepared potentially for a painful steroid flare for a couple of days!

OP
OP
NorthernSky
The next guy??

Presumably be a steroid, be prepared potentially for a painful steroid flare for a couple of days!

the fella doing the ultrasound i think. yeah he mentioned steroid
if it's only to mask pain for a while i'll probably skip it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
the fella doing the ultrasound i think. yeah he mentioned steroid
if it's only to mask pain for a while i'll probably skip it

Sometimes it works. They did it on my shoulder pre-operation to diagnose issues. That didn't work and I had it decompressed, but injections into trigger points on my back and trapezium after the operation helped.

It's a loop which needs breaking, and the injections can sometimes do that. Irritation, swelling, use, repeat !

Top Bottom