CV Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

My wife is applying for a job. The person spec says you need to have GCSE English, Maths and so on.

My wife has.

Plus 'A' levels, a 2-1 in History and Philosophy and an MA in Cultural Studies.

Question is: should she keep stum about her higher quals, or use several continuation sheets to list all her quals?

QuickDraw

I'd include them (I'd tell everyone I met if I was that well qualified) but make it clear why she wants the job, unless, of course, it is just a stop gap until she can get one more suitable to her qualifications.

Arch

Married to Night Train
freakhatz said:
Why isn't she looking for a job to which she is more appropriately qualified?

(Is what they will wonder..)

She may have no interest in getting such a job, or there may be no jobs of that sort out there. I've got a BA, a BSC, an Msc, and I'm part way through a PhD, but I'm looking for a part-time admin job because anything suited to my level of qualification will probably be more stressful and competitive than I want to be.

I'm putting all my qualifications, and making it clear in covering letter or on the application form that I'm not just looking for a stopgap.

If she is just looking for a stopgap, I guess she has to weigh up how likely they are to be bothered by that and whether she wants to tell an untruth (or lie by omission)

Mind you, I've been for one job so far and didn't get it, so don't listen to me. Apparently it was close though, I got pipped by someone with better IT experience. But I have three more admin job applications to get in, and I'll be listing everything on them.

Canrider

Guru
There is the possibility of not getting the job due to being 'overqualified', IME this is usually in situations where they'd have to pay the overqualified person more than they planned to..but it can also reflect a fear that the candidate will leave once a better job (one they're qualified for) appears.

Canrider said:
There is the possibility of not getting the job due to being 'overqualified', IME this is usually in situations where they'd have to pay the overqualified person more than they planned to..but it can also reflect a fear that the candidate will leave once a better job (one they're qualified for) appears.

It also happens where the employee will be better qualified than his or her boss.

I was turned down for a job as a car transporter driver once as the interviewer felt that my M.Sc. meant that I was "over educated, and just playing at being a lorry driver". (Yeah, right. I'd been driving artics for about six years back then.) A week later he phoned me, desperate to offer me the job, as the more conventional lorry driver type they'd employed (cropped hair, big gut, tattoos, no qualifications) had done a week and couldn't hack it. I took great pleasure in telling him I wasn't interested:biggrin:.

freakhatz

Rhythm Thief said:
I was turned down for a job as a car transporter driver once as the interviewer felt that my M.Sc. meant that I was "over educated, and just playing at being a lorry driver". (Yeah, right. I'd been driving artics for about six years back then.) A week later he phoned me, desperate to offer me the job, as the more conventional lorry driver type they'd employed (cropped hair, big gut, tattoos, no qualifications) had done a week and couldn't hack it. I took great pleasure in telling him I wasn't interested:biggrin:.

He was right, then;)

Top Bottom