CX comp tyres to road bike tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Hi,

I have the Boardman CX Comp and as well as using it for commuting I have been using it more & more for leisure rides on the roads.

My question is what road tyres could I put on it?

I currently have:

Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole -
700c x 37C
Schwalbe Tyrago w/ Kevlar Guard

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi,

I have the Boardman CX Comp and as well as using it for commuting I have been using it more & more for leisure rides on the roads.

I currently have:

Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole -
700c x 37C
Schwalbe Tyrago w/ Kevlar Guard

Schwalbe G One 35,38mm or for faster G One Speed 30,35,38mm . Both are tubeless. Fantastic fast tyres. I have the G One 38mm love the performance grip and comfortable. I run about 48-52psi

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you want decent puncture protection or is that secondary to speed?

I have 32mm Duranos oh my CX team work fine for commuting, utility and leisure rides when a puncture would be unwelcome. 28s would work well too but decided would look less good with the frame and mudguards

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Yeah decent puncture protection is number one priority. Speed I'm not really to fussed about

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Anything in about 28-35 mm would probably work. I'd probably go for 32 or 28mm

Something like a Schwalbe Marathon would be pretty tough. Continental Gatorskins might be a bit quicker. Durano is a decent tyre too.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole - 700c x 37C Schwalbe Tyrago w/ Kevlar Guard
[Want] decent puncture protection [as] number one priority. Speed I'm not really [too] fussed about
If you can answer the question "Why do I want to put 'road' tyres on?" then that will help you determine the requirements you have for the replacement tyre. Will you want to go off road at all? No point in fitting narrower tyres, particularly (and the narrow limit for thiose rims, sensibly, is 28mm (ie 28-622). If puncture protection is your priority, Marathon Plus have a sturdy reputation, provided you have thumbs of steel and an empty swear box.
Schwalbe G One 35,38mm or for faster G One Speed 30,35,38mm . Both are tubeless.
You have rims for clincher tyres so Andy's advice pre-supposes you're going to replace the wheels/rims as well (don't think this is the case).
I suggest you look at the range of tyres in https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ They rate tyres by their puncture resistance as well.

CXRAndy

Guru
You have rims for clincher tyres so Andy's advice pre-supposes you're going to replace the wheels/rims as well (don't think this is the case

I wouldn't even worry about using clincher wheels and convert them to tubeless with Stans rim tape. Its just marketing to buy another set of wheels. Ive got the same rims from my CXR 9.4 Boardman.

Top Bottom