Cycle 2 work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

chap said:
Or are the racks outside the nations Jobcenters filled with bikes from the scheme.
I wouldn't say filled but that's the main use one of mine is getting at the moment. :B)

(I won't pass opinion on the obvious flaw in mentioning Job Centres in relation to a Cycle to Work scheme. :ohmy: )

Although I don't understand how any of that relates to your assertion that it is "honest" for employers to tell staff lies about the scheme.

chap said:
You can imagine my reactions to the politicians on Question Time :biggrin:
I have only to place a mirror next to the television. :evil:

Norm

Sorry, on your other points (uptake within the un-civil service etc) I don't know so I have nothing to add there.

I know that my previous employers was a large plc (300k+ staff) and their scheme was complete pants. Seriously, reading the rules put me off the idea of commuting by bike, even though doing so would have saved me time and money. The sites that I had involvement with numbered close to 1,000 staff and not one person used the scheme.

As for abiding by the intent of the scheme, that, sadly, is something my profession (accountant and HR) requires of me. Much as I'd love to write all sorts of stuff about how to bend and break the rules (that sounds like a line from a song!), I get a nervous twitch just contemplating the idea. :B)

chap

Veteran
Norm said:
I wouldn't say filled but that's the main use one of mine is getting at the moment. :B)

(I won't pass opinion on the obvious flaw in mentioning Job Centres in relation to a Cycle to Work scheme. :biggrin: )

Although I don't understand how any of that relates to your assertion that it is "honest" for employers to tell staff lies about the scheme.

I have only to place a mirror next to the television. :evil:

I'm sorry to hear that, I did not know you were out of work - the comment was not aimed at you. Good luck with the job-hunting.

Although, the juxtaposition of cycle to work with the jobcenters certainly was intentional, and I was rather chuffed with myself until reading your first sentence.

The mirror won't drown out the fact that the audience are always satiated by such evasive, ill-argued and unconsidered points, they always clap :ohmy:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
fossyant said:
My employer is quids up on my scheme, as I use my bike to commute between sites - so could claim mileage if the bike was mine..... so for the last year, the bike has still cost me the same really, just an interest free loan.... gonna sting them for miles from next month though......... 12 months are up........

Are you saying that you can't claim bike mileage when cycling on a Bike 2 Work bike? I hadn't thought about that... so that could be worth considering when doing the calculations.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Summerdays - as the bike belongs to your employer you are not entitled to claim travel expenses. If you used your own bike, tax man considers 10p/mile reasonable for cyclists.

However, unless you do a LOT of miles between sites the tax advantages of the scheme should far outweigh any loss of mileage.

Where I work over 50 staff have taken up C2W. I heard that some are on their second bike in year 2. The take up is not great (6000 staff) but every little helps. The scheme helped me win the argument for a proper bike rack (you must take care of 'their' bike during the scheme) so I argued that we needed a safe place to lock bikes at work. We got a basis shelter and CCTV!

Norm

chap said:
I'm sorry to hear that, I did not know you were out of work - the comment was not aimed at you. Good luck with the job-hunting.

Although, the juxtaposition of cycle to work with the jobcenters certainly was intentional, and I was rather chuffed with myself until reading your first sentence.
No problem, chap, I didn't take it as personal and I was probably equally chuffed with my response. I think the appropriate phrase would involve removing wind from sails or urinating on bonfires or some such. :blush:

All part of the cut and thrust of commuting life, eh, even if "commuting" is only once every fortnight. :biggrin: :smile:

Norm

BentMikey said:
Shouldn't do - I think you're allowed up to 20p/mile from HMRC.
Indeed, I think that this is the current table, showing 20p/mile for cycling. However, as killiekosmos says, you cannot claim if you are doing the mileage on a bike you are renting through a Cycle To Work scheme.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
BentMikey said:
Shouldn't do - I think you're allowed up to 20p/mile from HMRC.

As I understand it (and I probably don't), you get taxed on it, if its above that rate... which is what happens with me... I get 40p and I don't think I'm the only person on here who gets above 20p.

summerdays said:
Are you saying that you can't claim bike mileage when cycling on a Bike 2 Work bike? I hadn't thought about that... so that could be worth considering when doing the calculations.

At my place we can't claim if we use a cyclescheme bike, so we leave the bikes at work and get cabs instead! lol.

More seriously though, are you insured for using your vehicle for work business?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No I'm not insured but my boss looked into it for me and couldn't find any schemes to do it... its a risk I run - why does anyone know insurance for using your bike on work related trips? I've been known to take it into the building at the other end if I can't find anywhere safe to lock it up.

ChrisM

chap said:
Can one reapply after paying off their interest and tax free loan?

I'm on my second bike now after completing a year on my first bike a Ridgeback Speed Hybrid I paid a fee and ownership was transferred to me with a huge saving. I then applied for another R2W scheme and now have a Fuji Newest 1.0 road bike.

So yes you can have as many as you like but only one running at any one time as far as I can see:biggrin:

Common Rail

ChrisM said:
I'm on my second bike now after completing a year on my first bike a Ridgeback Speed Hybrid I paid a fee and ownership was transferred to me with a huge saving. I then applied for another C2W scheme and now have a Fuji Newest 1.0 road bike.

So yes you can have as many as you like but only one running at any one time as far as I can see:biggrin:

Hi. I had thought of raising a new thread on this, but as you happen to mention it, what percentage of original shop ticket price did you have to pay to gain ownership of the bike at the end of your C2W HP period?

Norm

ChrisM said:
ECHO.... echo... :ohmy:
Norm said:
Many schemes (and this is another one which depends on scheme rules) will allow you to get a second bike when the first is cleared. Some schemes have fairly narrow windows during which you can buy a bike, though.

...some schemes are allowed to let you have 2 bikes at the same time - for instance, to have one at either end of a train journey. The scheme which I set up did that but I don't think many schemes do take advantage of it, although I think that the £1k limit for consumer credit licences would apply to the total value of equipment loaned at any one time.

Top Bottom