Cycle barriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Cycle Barriers, or More Particularly,
The “A” Frame Barrier
My local barrier has been chosen to represent all others of its type as a test bed to modify my bikes where necessary to give the least painful experience when getting through them. I've put it on this forum as it refers mostly to my LWB bike and recumbent delta trike. This is based on my experience, and of course, YMMV.

It is basically the shape of an old fashioned conical milk churn. It is made from steel tubing of about 2 1/2” (6.5cm) diameter. It is composed of 2 symmetrical parts in an inverted U shape, 52” (132cm) high and 38” (96.5cm) apart at the base. It is parallel to a height of 7” (18cm). The sides then lean inwards to a height of 42” (107cm) above which they are parallel for a height of 10”(25.4cm). The sides are 22” (56cm) apart at this point. Front to back it is 23” (58.5cm) deep. The tubing is reinforced with a steel plate either side. The whole thing is galvanised. Place your bets on which will win a contest between your bike’s paint and the barrier’s coating.
P1020748.JPG

OK then. The Linear has inward sloping bar ends, which taper in from the ends of the underseat bars to which they are clamped. I’ve removed an inch or so from the ends of those bars to bring the top of the bar ends in to about 23” (58.5 cm) apart and it now goes through the barrier easily. The tops of the bar ends are at 33” (84 cm) from the ground, the underseat bars are 30” (76 cm) wide.
P1020733.JPG

I’ve tried to stay within these dimensions on the Sinner trike. The widest part of the Linear, being a 2 wheeler, is the ends of the underseat bars. These are wider than the widest part of the trike which is about 29” (74 cm) at 16” (41 cm) above the ground. The top outer tips of the one piece W shaped underseat bars were 26” (66 cm) wide at 30” (76 cm)above the ground. I have gently bent inwards the ends of the bars on the trike and they are now at 23” (58.5 cm) wide. A recent test ride proved that once I tucked myself in I could ride straight through. A photo of the trike inside the barrier shows that it is very compact.
P1020750.JPG

There looks to be enough space to squeeze something through either side of the barrier but looks are deceptive, being more an illusion due to the wide angle lens. The barrier itself is narrower than it looks. If you are in a group, you could lift your non standard bike(s) over the adjacent gate. There's not always a gate. This barrier is an isolated outlier, but coming across a series of barriers on a cycleway, such as parts of the Trans Pennine Trail could quite soon become tedious.
The main problem is the tapered design of the barrier. The higher your bike or trike the narrower the space that you have left to squeeze through. Due to the oblique angle at which the path approaches and leaves this particular barrier you don’t have the full use of that space as you have to turn while going through. The front and rear of the barrier are joined by that metal sheet, so there is no wriggle room.

From past experience, this barrier is no problem on my drop handlebar bike, as you can just stick your elbows out and ride slowly through. If you have a mirror, you will have to fold it in then faff around re setting it. If you have panniers, it will depend on how high/wide they are.

I have seen conventional bikes with straight bars wiggle through, as would small wheelers including Bromptons.

Normal track width trikes, upright or recumbent, are unlikely to make it, maybe even narrow track trikes with full size wheels as the tops would come up against the inward slope of the barrier.

Drop bar tandems might manage it, flat bar tandems might be defeated by the difficulty of getting two sets of bars through.

Recumbent bikes with over seat steering might struggle but they are all different so some could be easier than others.

Wheelchairs look as if they could have a problem here. Small mobility scooters can probably get through, but larger ones might not.

Where there's a will there's a way. Kissing gates long enough for a standard bike are an obstruction to a tandem or LWB bike but It didn't take long after I acquired the Linear before I trimmed the rear mudguard so that I could stand it on the back wheel so I could wheel it through without damaging that mudguard.

Here is a trio of stinkers in a series of stinkers over a short distance, even with a Brompton, along part of the Montgomery Canal towpath last year. I sneaked these Brompton pics in using the excuse that it's a non standard bicycle, even if it's not a recumbent. So, shoot me. Note the lifting flap to let your dog through on the second one. Wouldn't recommend a recumbent or even a standard bike here. Maybe even (O heresy!) better off on foot.
P1020627.JPG

P1020628.JPG

P1020629.JPG

Going back to my original local "A" frame barrier, which looks pretty tame compared with the three above:-

The design seems to have been produced to make life hard for the widest possible range of users.

Just because you can smugly get your bike through this one, don’t kid yourself that there isn’t some other type of barrier out there waiting to puncture your balloon of self esteem with its unexpected obstructiveness.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I appreciate that you have highlighted these things. They should be training/test beds for RAF precision missile strikes...

Round here they seem to have standardised most barriers to the first type - at least on the paths where bike are supposed to go

There is one funny one where they replaced an older type with a modern '"A" frame one - carefully removed the old rusty one - nice new galvanised "A" frame one and restored the attached fence and all that

and carefully left the 4 foot gap between the "A"frame and the fence next to it - as it has been for many years
nicely they also removed an annoying rock that always tried to divert your wheel if you took it at any speed (it is on a hill) so it is easier to whizz through now!!

Also - on the subject - the ST Helens canal between Widnes and Warrington and a few barriers - all "A" frame and I have perfected the required technique on my ebike
Problem with the Motus is that the handlebars are quite wide so you have to get the position exactly right to get through in one complex movement - looks quite cool if I get it right - I look like a prat if I get it wrong!!!
The one by the Ferry pub is annoying - the gap at the top is a fraction narrower than standard so the movement that gets me through on every other "A" frame on Earth doesn;t quite work - I end up with my chest actually brushing both sides at the same time to get through!!!

There’s a chicane on a local trail that looks like a pair of staggered Sheffield stands placed perpendicular to the path. Unfortunately the two inverted ‘U’s are just a bit too close together to make riding through on an upright a no-foot-down experience. The hoops are on the other hand wide and tall enough to allow me to go straight through on my Trice. 😁. A rare example of a recumbent trike selective barrier!

A few years ago I saw a few young lads on bike go through an "A" frame barrier

most just wiggled through normally
One was a way behind his mates and decided to show off while they were waiting for him on the far side - and hence looking at him

Decided to do a wheelie based on the assumption that doing so would allow him to go directly through it and the bars would pass over the top
HERO style!!

realised a yard or so before the barrier that
a) the theory was not as wonderful in reality as it was in his mind and the measurement might be a bit out
b) it was bloody dangerous
and/or
c) he wasn't THAT heroic

probably all 3 of the above

so he chickened out a yard or so before the barrier
which is - obviously - way too late
hence crashed into the barrier and landed in a heap

His mates followed time honoured male behavious and wet themselves laughing
they probably noticed that he was perfectly OK - probably some bruises - especially to his ego
bike seemed to be OK

Hilarious!!

Carrying my bike over a barrier is a problem with an ebike due to the extra weight
I also have full mudguards so I can;t easily push it through with the front wheel in the wheelie position
Also - as I am getting older - my knees complain about lifting the weight
Did once manage it by taking the battery off and taking it through separately but it is a pain

presta

Guru
There's one on the Rochdale canal somewhere between Todmorden and the summit, I forget what it looked like now, but although my bike fitted through ok, I helped a girl lift her (upright) bike over it because it wouldn't go through. Whilst we were there, a guy on a quad bike turned up and just rode straight underneath it without stopping.

Mike_P

Guru
Those barriers are being removed, despite all the promises from North Yorkshire County Council on cycling improvements in Harrogate the only thing they have managed in recent months has been removal of one such barrier.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Complete pain in the a*se and a typical authority lack of thinking, forward planning and twattery. I get through them fine,but so many can't who might otherwise be on a cycle of some description.

Mike_P

Guru
I can manage to waggle the front wheel of a bike with straight bars to get the bars through whilst supporting my torso on the inner side of the barrier. Drop bar bike fits through okay at a very slow speed, one day came across a cyclist on the floor being tended to by walkers who had misjudged the opening of one.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Perhaps after measuring the smallest of the local ones you could knock up a loading gauge from bits of wood, as the railways used to have, on the exit to your bike shed, to avoid any embarrassments on the trail. Of course, rail vehicles are a pretty precise fit with the bridges and tunnels on their local routes.
Loading gauge tight fit.jpg

Not so simple with bicycles.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
maybe fashion up an extended jack to put on the top end of open part to widen the damn things out a bit

Jody

Stubborn git
I've got 4 within half a mile on my commute. Two A frames, one isn't wide enough for shoulders, never mind a bike. Two others, you've got to carry the bike over. This is part of the TPT !

They've recently been removing them from the TPT near me but this has led to motorbikes using it again.

Top Bottom