Cycle barriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They've recently been removing them from the TPT near me but this has led to motorbikes using it again.

It's a general issue near me anyway, motorbikes or the electric ones. Burnt out scooter near one of the A frames a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes the 'removals' don't have much of a negative effect - the Fallowfield Loop used to have them every half mile or so, and you'd have to negotiate them - think I had 6 to get through. These have all gone, and there doesn't seem to be any additional 'abuse' of the path. Certainly opens it up to trike, trailer etc bikes.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
A couple more barriers that I encountered while out the other day on the Weaver Parkway.
I had to stand the recumbent on its back wheel and walk it through the kissing gate -no real problem as it's pretty wide. You could probably get a low trike through the left hand end of the main gate. This barrier seems pretty innocuous, tempting you to use the trail. Note the collection of warning signs.
P1020769.JPG

The other end is another matter. This is looking back in the direction I'd cycled from. You might squeeze a very very low trike under the RH end.
P1020773.JPG

Here is the measurement between the gatepost and the round pole.
P1020771.JPG

I didn't manage to take the pictures on the day as I was rushing to a meeting but It was such a struggle to get through the second barrier that I went back today and took some.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
I returned to this second barrier as it was somehow so annoying. If I was on my upright drop bar tourer it would have gone through easily. Any other conventional bike with flat bars would struggle. If I was some kind of sporty recumbentist with over seat handlehars perhaps narrow "hamster bars" or tiller steering would have gone through but then I wouldn't have been riding that sort of surface. Wider cockpit type bars would struggle too. Wheelchair users or those with mobility scooters would have been blocked. I've never been in agreement with those who suggest radical action with a battery angle grinder but here is something that just invites that sort of thing. However, behind me in those photos is a caravan park so it would be a brave or foolhardy person who followed such a noisy, attention getting course of action there.

I have noticed that most of the barriers that I normally see on the trails and paths around here have been removed and now there is just a gap wide enough - easily - for a wheelchair or trike.

I means that I can actually ride my normal circuit and only have to pass one actual barrier - and as that has a 5 foot gap at the side of it (and always has - no idea why they replaced the barrier and left the gap a few years ago!!!) so in theory I could ride the whole route without stopping except for traffic (foot and wheeled)

WHich does make it more pleasant to ride!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The pics in the OP of the barriers with a dog gate indicate the trail is for pedestrians only.

I suspect parts of the Trans-Pennine Trail are the same.

Around here - Tyne and Wear/County Durham - some barriers have been removed to improve wheelchair access.

But as has been observed, it's a battle between ease of access and yobbos on motorbikes and quadbikes.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
What is annoying is that the cycle trail ends with no warning or indication of an alternative route, especially as it re starts on the canal towpath several miles further on. Having ridden the route once, I could sort out a diversion in advance if I were to do it again. Equally annoyingly, even Pearson's Canal Guide makes no reference to any change of status at that point, when that section of canal has been dry since about 1936, and judging by the overgrowth and age of the barriers, has probably been restricted for decades before other sections of the Montgomery Canal were incorporated into long distance leisure routes.

Cycling has not always been welcomed on towpaths. I can remember applying for a (free) towpath cycling permit a couple of decades ago. There were loads of terms and conditions back then.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cycling has not always been welcomed on towpaths.

That's true.

There's a section of riverside shared use path near me which is used by anglers.

They routinely barrack cyclists, and have been known to scatter hooks on the path presumably in an effort to cause punctures.

I went on my normal but longer route the other day and kept a note of barriers

I used to have to put my foot down to wiggle through barriers quite a few times on the ride
now - once I get past the pedestrian/cycle crossings on the big junction at the bottom on the road - I only have to put my foot down once

several gates seem to be left open deliberately and all the cycle barriers have been dug up and replaced with gaps big enough for wheelchairs and mobility scooters - and hence bikes!

it does make the ride more pleasent

Top Bottom