Cycle Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
John the Monkey said:
As far as I know, only at the point of sale, they are not a legal requirment when the bike is in use.

As for using it, depending on volume, ring from a little way away, and thank people (assuming they've moved) once you pass. Waiting 'til you're right behind someone *then* ringing it should make you self conscious, because you're an idiot.

Treadly and me has a couple of good pieces on bike bells;
http://treadly.net/2006/02/16/ring-my-own-bell/
and http://treadly.net/2009/11/03/just-ring-it/

Really interesting articles

Its odd but when Helly79 and I go to Centreparcs, we generally hire a bike. We both use the bells on them when on the shared paths there and people are always appreciative of the advance warning. I guess theres no reason why it should be any different out here in the real world

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I'll add that I can only remember one or two incidents where walkers have expressed annoyance at the sound of a bell.

I think most people would rather be alerted to the approach of an oncoming cyclist than annoyed at the ding ding of a bell wouldn't they

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Globalti said:
I usually have a bell on my MTB and I find it perfect for warning walkers on towpaths or bridleways. Many of them seem amused by a bike bell and are quite happy to let you past.

The only problem is that older walkers often can't hear bells!

I like the sound of bike bells, except those flick ones that come with most new bikes

GrasB

Veteran
I've tended to find the use of a bell seems to be a catalyst for abuse or is simply ignored on narrow roads. In town they're more useful but still it's foreign nationals that actually tend to respond to a bell rather than the locals.

Fiona N

Veteran
Since Kendal's shopping area is "pedestrianised" (actually it's more like the cars, taxis, trucks, buses, bikes and people all share the same zone with 'pavements' segueing into road at the same height) pedestrians do have a tendency to walk down the middle of the road towards the oncoming motorised traffic (which is one-way, bikes can use the road in both directions) and ignore the possibility of bikes approaching from behind. So a bell is semi-useful - 'semi' in that most of them are blettering away on their mobiles or are ipodded. Shouting works better with most but I give them the benefit of the doubt and use the bell first.

Top Bottom