Cycle Bell

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
I know its a daft question, but how many people have them on their bikes now? I personally dont see much point in the single "ding" ones as I can sneeze louder than those
 

tyred

Legendary Member
Location
Ireland
I have one on my Twenty because this is the bike I am most likely to use on shared paths and I feel it can be a useful warning to pedestrians. I also have one on my Rudge but it is a period piece on a vintage bike. In reality, I believe there is very little point as you can always shout at pedestrians or other cyclists if you need their attention for some reason and drivers won't hear the bell anyway.
 
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
Thats what I wondered RE shared paths. I normally just say "excuse me"... generally works. I think that sometimes people dont like being "dinged" at lol
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
I have a Lever Strike brass bell, the Crane Bell "Suzu".

It's loud, and has a wonderful, penetrating sonorous tone (even, it seems, through iPod headphones). One of those, mounted on one of Velo Orange's elegant spacer mounts is ideal, ime.
 
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
John the Monkey said:
I have a Lever Strike brass bell, the Crane Bell "Suzu".

It's loud, and has a wonderful, penetrating sonorous tone (even, it seems, through iPod headphones). One of those, mounted on one of Velo Orange's elegant spacer mounts is ideal, ime.
oooh - I love the look of those. I found a review on a blog earlier today that said the sound from them is like a "Tibetan Singing Bowl" lol
 
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
potsy said:
Took both of mine off as I rarely use the shared paths anymore.
That was the only reason I kept them on for so long
I think bells are pretty much useless in traffic, but where theres people around, theyre probably worthwhile
 
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
potsy said:
Then you need an Airzound Andy;)
haha - Would be a good way of clearing people from the cycle path too :smile:
 
I'm fitting one to my new bike, only because I don't want some batsrad of a solicitor getting his/her client off paying me for a replacement bike, should I ever get fetched off, simply because I didn't have all of the legally required 'safety' equipment fitted. I'm not bothering with my Airzound simply because I don't use it enough to warrant having it on there.
 
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
Browser said:
I'm fitting one to my new bike, only because I don't want some batsrad of a solicitor getting his/her client off paying me for a replacement bike, should I ever get fetched off, simply because I didn't have all of the legally required 'safety' equipment fitted. I'm not bothering with my Airzound simply because I don't use it enough to warrant having it on there.
Are bells a legal requirement for old bikes? I know that they have to be fitted to new bikes when sold
 

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Location
Brighton
I have one on the tourer for cycle paths as they seem to be normal sur le continent but I'd be a bit self-conscious using one over here.
 
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Location
Norwich
rich p said:
I have one on the tourer for cycle paths as they seem to be normal sur le continent but I'd be a bit self-conscious using one over here.
I understand what you mean about feeling self-conscious about using a bell here. I think some pedestrians would take exception to them here :/
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
AndyCarolan said:
Are bells a legal requirement for old bikes? I know that they have to be fitted to new bikes when sold
As far as I know, only at the point of sale, they are not a legal requirment when the bike is in use.

As for using it, depending on volume, ring from a little way away, and thank people (assuming they've moved) once you pass. Waiting 'til you're right behind someone *then* ringing it should make you self conscious, because you're an idiot.

Treadly and me has a couple of good pieces on bike bells;
I prefer to think that it’s either misplaced politeness and/or embarrassment at doing something so “childish” that makes many cyclists forget the humble ol’ bike bell. Personally I tinkle the bell at everyone – sure some people might get irritated by it but not half as irritated as they’d be if they accidentally stepped into my path because they didn’t know I was there.
http://treadly.net/2006/02/16/ring-my-own-bell/
and http://treadly.net/2009/11/03/just-ring-it/
 

Globalti

Legendary Member
I usually have a bell on my MTB and I find it perfect for warning walkers on towpaths or bridleways. Many of them seem amused by a bike bell and are quite happy to let you past.

The only problem is that older walkers often can't hear bells!
 
Top Bottom