Please advise a decent bike and a child seat to cycle a 4 year old child to school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novice2023

Regular
We are both quite short: I am 157 cm and my partner is 168 cm but our legs are of the same length.
The distance to school is around 1.5 miles. The route is pretty flat along town roads. Child is around 16 kg.
We do not want to spend much on the bike but would like a safe bike. So far the options are Halfords Apollo Elyse bike 16" Apollo Elyse
and Decathlon Riverside Riverside Hybrid bike.
Does anyone know which bike is better for our purpose?
As to child seat we like Hamas Siesta Hamas Siesta. Would this seat fit both bikes?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC.

Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with Halfords Apollo range. They are their bargain basement range and every one I've had through my hands have been very poor quality. There has even been a post on here last week complaining about the sub standard components.
Decathlon would be a much safer bet, components and warranty are both better. The 120 would be a safer choice. With bikes as with everything else you get what you pay for so some things are skimped like tyres which will have poor puncture resistance. Brakes being the V type should provide good reliable stopping. There's not a great gear range so steeper hills are going to be a struggle. Make sure the gear block on the rear wheel is a cassette as stated in their spec not a freewheel as the axle could bend or even break with the extra weight of a child.
Go in store and try it out, sitting at least. Make sure you get the correct size. Your leg should be straight when seated with the pedal at six o clock. You shouldn't be able to put your feet down when on the saddle. Stopping you slide forward off the saddle.
Can't help you with the child seat I'm afraid. Decathlon should be able to advise. Down here they put a rack on and bolt a child's plastic chair to it. :smile:

Last edited:
Hello & welcome @novice2023

I hate being this guy but I'm going to be.....

From your other post......
I live in London (UK). I am not a good cyclist and do not know much about bikes.

Lots of people carry their kids on bikes, sometimes more than one kid at a time but I'd venture not many start off from where you're starting from.

I hope you get lots of responses here but if not, I'd suggest doing some more (in fact, a whole lot more) research before buying a bike.

I'd imagine there's a lot of Facebook groups and probably websites dedicated to what you want to do.
YouTube could well be your friend too.
Keep your eyes open at schools and see if you can spot and talk to others who do what you want to do.
Maybe ask in the school your child attends to see if anyone else is doing this? Maybe you can have a chat.
Shops that sell child seats may be helpful too.

In the meantime, beg, borrow, or use a Borisbike and get out there so that you become a better cyclist than you are now.
So much of cycling safely, especially in a city, is based on experience. Perhaps look into any cycle training that may be available. (Cue incoming abuse ^_^ )
Build up your confidence and skills then attempt the school run at the appropriate times. See how it feels.

Don't forget, you're going to have a 16kg, very valuable load propped up high that's going to make cycling less stable.
No harm to give them lots of practice too in advance of hitting rush hour traffic. The calmer they ate the safer you both are.

Other things to consider are weather (and what to wear), lighting and basic maintenance such as punctures.
Also routing. The way you currently go may not be the most bike friendly.
Presumably you have a safe and secure place to store the bike?

I used to live in the Netherlands and kids as passengers on bikes were as common as muck. However, there is an excellent cycling infrastructure there.

Cargo bikes as multi-purpose machines were quite common. As many as 4 kids in the "cargo space" for the school run, buy also used for grocery shopping, errands and days out. A lot more expensive than your budget, requiring more storage space but an investment more than an expense giving the opportunity to save on car running costs and/or public transport.

I hate that the tone of my reply may be seen as negative but I think it's (almost) vital for safety, success and enjoyment that you have a good think about this, get some practice and skills under your belt and start off with your absolutely best foot forward.

TLDR?
If your only choice is those two go with the Decathlon bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Much of London has decent cycle routes/lanes/paths but they are very busy at peak times especially when the weather is good, and many people tend to be in a hurry, overtaking at speed, too close or when others are coming the other way (esp the cycle super highways, path/lanes around big junctions).

So definitely as above, perfect your own riding skills before trying with nipper.
Most child bike seats have an age/weight limit (age 5/22kg seems common) so bear that in mind.

Whereabouts in London are you? Parts of South and North London are pretty hilly as you’ll be aware if you live there and an extra 16kg is a big extra weight to lug up an incline (even a gentle one, you says it’s pretty flat)

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's great that you and your partner want to start using a bicycle. Quite quickly you will save money, become healthier and model social responsibility to your child.

As @HobbesOnTour and @vickster say it's not quite that simple and you are very unlikely to be able to safely take your child to school by bike for the start of term.

Round here lots of parents walk or scooter their children to school - would they be options while you gain confidence and experience on a bike?

Please, please stick with it, six weeks could see you enjoying the school trip in a new way.

OP
OP
N

novice2023

Regular
Much of London has decent cycle routes/lanes/paths but they are very busy at peak times especially when the weather is good, and many people tend to be in a hurry, overtaking at speed, too close or when others are coming the other way (esp the cycle super highways, path/lanes around big junctions).

So definitely as above, perfect your own riding skills before trying with nipper.
Most child bike seats have an age/weight limit (age 5/22kg seems common) so bear that in mind.

Whereabouts in London are you? Parts of South and North London are pretty hilly as you’ll be aware if you live there and an extra 16kg is a big extra weight to lug up an incline (even a gentle one, you says it’s pretty flat)

Fulham Sands End. School is in Parsons Green. No highways or big junctions. Route is quite flat. My partner is confident cyclist. I will try to cycle through parks.

OP
OP
N

novice2023

Regular
It's great that you and your partner want to start using a bicycle. Quite quickly you will save money, become healthier and model social responsibility to your child.

As @HobbesOnTour and @vickster say it's not quite that simple and you are very unlikely to be able to safely take your child to school by bike for the start of term.

Round here lots of parents walk or scooter their children to school - would they be options while you gain confidence and experience on a bike?

Please, please stick with it, six weeks could see you enjoying the school trip in a new way.

Thanks. On my days I will pull my child on the scooter or his bike to start with.

OP
OP
N

novice2023

Regular
Many thanks everyone for your replies.
I guess my question was not right. I would like to get a reliable inexpensive bike to take my child to school which is under 2 miles so total daily commute will be under 5 miles.
I keep reading review on Apollo Elyse and feeling more and more scared. The bike does not seem to be very reliable. Decathlon's Riverside has better reviews and still feels not quite reliable. I would appreciate recommendations of a reliable bike under £300 to carry a child to school.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fulham Sands End. School is in Parsons Green. No highways or big junctions. Route is quite flat. My partner is confident cyclist. I will try to cycle through parks.

Yeah that area is pretty flat, the parks and paths will be busy though at peak times.
Have you considered a tag-a-long rather than a seat? Although of course makes everything longer (as would a trailer).
Wandsworth Decathlon not too far away and has a reasonable bike section

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

novice2023

Regular
We visited one Halfords store and their "expert" suggested Pendleton Blossomby Pendleton Blossomby which is kids bike for 9-12 year old. I know nothing about bikes but it felt wrong to me to have a child seat on a kids bike. So, no I am not stuck on Halfords. My current plan is to test Carrera Crossfire 2 to choose which frame is more comfortable. If it does not work then I go with Riverside which has smaller percentage of bad reviews.

vickster

Legendary Member
We visited one Halfords store and their "expert" suggested Pendleton Blossomby Pendleton Blossomby which is kids bike for 9-12 year old. I know nothing about bikes but it felt wrong to me to have a child seat on a kids bike. So, no I am not stuck on Halfords. My current plan is to test Carrera Crossfire 2 to choose which frame is more comfortable. If it does not work then I go with Riverside which has smaller percentage of bad reviews.

Why not go with the Decathlon bike straight off if it fits?

Top Bottom