How to buy a Western hybrid bike in Fukuoka Japan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

71feline

Hi! This is my first post. I grew up in Southern California and recently decided to move to Fukuoka, Japan. I want to buy either a women's Marin Fairfax or Jamis Coda. I don't know much about these bikes in all honesty, I just read online reviews and they seem fit for purpose. In a previous life, I used to be a bike commuter in Las Vegas, NV and SoCal but motorists were seriously deficient in cognitive abilities there or simply mean to cyclists back in my day thus I eventually turned into a car person to avoid being hit or in one instance, pushed off the road.

Anyway, I plan to use this bike to get from my condo in Fukuoka to a jogging path further away. I would be riding this bike on a narrow car-only paved lane in a low-medium traffic area on the island. I would need to lock it in an easy manner, jog for a few hours, then ride back home. I only know of these two bikes so if there's another make/model anyone would recommend, I'm all eyes. (I would like a hybrid mid-price range that wouldn't make people like you - real cyclists - point and laugh at this plebeian rider.) Specifically, I am reaching out for suggestions on how to find a cycling shop with an English speaking staff/person in Fukuoka, Japan. Shipping it from the US to Japan is not cost efficient for me.

I will probably end up using this bike often, as I don't plan on owning a car in Japan but not sure if locking it up and leaving it for hours on end is a good idea. Japan is low on crime though, so I figure it should be ok. Also, I'm 5'4" with a slender, sorta athletic build, not much junk in the trunk...do I really need to bother differentiating between a women's bike and a dude's?

Any advice would be great. Never been on a chat forum before so this is all quite new.

Thank you! :smile:

Hi! This is my first post. I grew up in Southern California and recently decided to move to Fukuoka, Japan. I want to buy either a women's Marin Fairfax or Jamis Coda. I don't know much about these bikes in all honesty, I just read online reviews and they seem fit for purpose. In a previous life, I used to be a bike commuter in Las Vegas, NV and SoCal but motorists were seriously deficient in cognitive abilities there or simply mean to cyclists back in my day thus I eventually turned into a car person to avoid being hit or in one instance, pushed off the road.

Anyway, I plan to use this bike to get from my condo in Fukuoka to a jogging path further away. I would be riding this bike on a narrow car-only paved lane in a low-medium traffic area on the island. I would need to lock it in an easy manner, jog for a few hours, then ride back home. I only know of these two bikes so if there's another make/model anyone would recommend, I'm all eyes. (I would like a hybrid mid-price range that wouldn't make people like you - real cyclists - point and laugh at this plebeian rider.) Specifically, I am reaching out for suggestions on how to find a cycling shop with an English speaking staff/person in Fukuoka, Japan. Shipping it from the US to Japan is not cost efficient for me.

I will probably end up using this bike often, as I don't plan on owning a car in Japan but not sure if locking it up and leaving it for hours on end is a good idea. Japan is low on crime though, so I figure it should be ok. Also, I'm 5'4" with a slender, sorta athletic build, not much junk in the trunk...do I really need to bother differentiating between a women's bike and a dude's?

Any advice would be great. Never been on a chat forum before so this is all quite new.

Thank you! :smile:

Hi and welcome. I visit Japan infrequently to visit my Wife's family in Ise, in the Shima Hanto region.

Unfortunately I can't help a great deal, except to say that in my limited experience, Japan is pretty safe for cycling and you can leave a bike locked for a while and be fairly sure it'll be there when you get back. The main issue as far as I can tell is drunk salarymen nicking unlocked bikes from stations and trying to ride them home...

I know @Oldhippy has had a more prolonged contact with Japan, perhaps he can assist? Alternatively Two Wheel Cruise lived and cycled in Japan for a while and will possibly have advice. Website here:

https://twowheelcruise.com/

All the best, and post pictures, lots of pictures.

Nope, doesn't matter if it's a ladies' bike or a man's bike. Most important is to get one that fits.

Not all of us ride spiffy super-spendy bikes, btw. For a basic (no front suspension) but decent hybrid, something in the £300 - £400 bracket should be more than adequate if you're buying new. If you're on a tighter budget, there's always the option of going used.

If you plan on not having a car, then do make sure that whatever bike you buy has the necessary eyelets / fixings to take a rack, because panniers might be useful if you end up doing utility rides e.g. going for groceries.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, What I would do is ask on your cities main Facebook page this question and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Considering that the majority of frames etc are made very near in Taiwan/China etc I'm sure you will be able to get something suitable. Ask as well at your local cycling club etc.
Take someone to the shop with you who can translate if they don't speak English. I've heard that a lot of Japanese don't, its not like Europe etc where a lot of people do speak English as well.

OP
OP
71feline

71feline

Hi and welcome. I visit Japan infrequently to visit my Wife's family in Ise, in the Shima Hanto region.

Unfortunately I can't help a great deal, except to say that in my limited experience, Japan is pretty safe for cycling and you can leave a bike locked for a while and be fairly sure it'll be there when you get back. The main issue as far as I can tell is drunk salarymen nicking unlocked bikes from stations and trying to ride them home...

I know @Oldhippy has had a more prolonged contact with Japan, perhaps he can assist? Alternatively Two Wheel Cruise lived and cycled in Japan for a while and will possibly have advice. Website here:

https://twowheelcruise.com/

All the best, and post pictures, lots of pictures.

Hi Andy,
Thank you so much for your reply! Funny insight about the salarymen...I've read a lot about how some of them actually don't like the drinking custom but feel obliged to get wasted with their boss in order to stay on-side. I hear it's like that in Korean business culture too. I will follow up with @Oldhippy and Two Wheel Cruise. I would have replied to you sooner but I was waiting for an email notification for any replies to my first post, I must have my notification thing turned off...I'm learning. Thanks again :smile:

OP
OP
71feline

71feline

Nope, doesn't matter if it's a ladies' bike or a man's bike. Most important is to get one that fits.

Not all of us ride spiffy super-spendy bikes, btw. For a basic (no front suspension) but decent hybrid, something in the £300 - £400 bracket should be more than adequate if you're buying new. If you're on a tighter budget, there's always the option of going used.

If you plan on not having a car, then do make sure that whatever bike you buy has the necessary eyelets / fixings to take a rack, because panniers might be useful if you end up doing utility rides e.g. going for groceries.

Hi Reynard,
Ah, good to know re the gender thing. I also feel better hearing that lifestyle-cyclists don't all ride super expensive bikes. I once saw someone decked out riding an Olmo (mint colored, gorgeous looking thing....the bike, not the guy) that was in the 1.5k-2.5k range and felt instantly insecure. So yeah, thanks for that. Never thought about how to carry groceries around so I will keep the possible need for a rack installation in mind. I appreciate your reply! :smile:

OP
OP
71feline

71feline

Hi, What I would do is ask on your cities main Facebook page this question and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Considering that the majority of frames etc are made very near in Taiwan/China etc I'm sure you will be able to get something suitable. Ask as well at your local cycling club etc.
Take someone to the shop with you who can translate if they don't speak English. I've heard that a lot of Japanese don't, its not like Europe etc where a lot of people do speak English as well.

Hi Kingfisher 101,
Ah, Facebook. Excellent idea. I had unplugged from social media almost 10yrs ago because I didn't like the way it seems to bring out the id and the worst of the ego in people - myself included - but there is definitely something to be said about using it as a means to an end....like getting a bike in Japan! I'm also keen on the thought of connecting with like-minded pro-cycling peeps in my area so Facebook sounds like a plan. Thank you! :smile:

Top Bottom