Modify old bike or buy another?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You (OP) do realise that your lowest (shortest) gear on this plastic bike will be significantly harder to pedal up your local scenery. Which is I think where this thread started off.

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
You (OP) do realise that your lowest (shortest) gear on this plastic bike will be significantly harder to pedal up your local scenery. Which is I think where this thread started off.

Not sure I understand. Plastic bike?

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
Ah right. I might have twigged with "epoxy and string" or something like that. Carbon != plastic so that threw me off.

The lowest gear on the 12 speed 105 with a 50:34 front and 11-36 rear is very close to the bodge job I've fitted to the current bike (34/36 = 0.94x, vs 28/30 = 0.93x). It would be great if I could get a 32T front chainring or 38T largest rear for the 105, but I'm not sure either of those are feasible).

Jameshow

Veteran
Ah right. I might have twigged with "epoxy and string" or something like that. Carbon != plastic so that threw me off.

The lowest gear on the 12 speed 105 with a 50:34 front and 11-36 rear is very close to the bodge job I've fitted to the current bike (34/36 = 0.94x, vs 28/30 = 0.93x). It would be great if I could get a 32T front chainring or 38T largest rear for the 105, but I'm not sure either of those are feasible).

I don't think a double will go that small I could be wrong....

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular

Indeed. A bit more than £1000! Turns out I can make quite a saving through a cycle to work scheme; so whilst it's still more than I'd want to spend it would take it well under £2k.

I don't think a double will go that small I could be wrong....

I read somewhere than the bolt hole pattern is too large to allow anything under a 34T front chainring, so you may well be right.

Top Bottom