Modify old bike or buy another?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran

Just wish I had a double garage!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Utter tosh anybody who calls themselves a cyclist has to have at least n+3 just in case
You misunderstood, 'n+1'... It is meant to be applied recursively until the global supply of bicycles has been exhausted, or your fed-up neighbours start issuing dire threats after your fleet starts to overflow onto their properties!

the snail

Guru
+1 for fixing up your existing setup. Your existing setup is fairly flexible in terms of gear ratios, probably more so than a newer double. New cables, lubrication will probably get your gears shifting nicely. Another thing to look at is the rear derailleur allignment, quite likely to have taken a knock at some point. Also check that the RD pivots aren't worn and sloppy. Beyond maybe cables and RD I wouldn't spend a lot on new groupset, wheels etc personally - I'd try and get it working well, and save up for something newer/better.

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
Whilst familiar with the n+1 rule, I've generally applied it to lathes, hand planes, and table saws; rather than bikes. Largely because if I'm fat and slow on bike n then I'd also be fat and slow on bike n+1 ;)

I have been seriously considering the Roubaix SL8 Sport 105 though. I'd like the Di2 version of the 105, but the model that has it (the SL8 Comp) is another £2k; with the only differences being the Di2 and the FutureShock 3.2 (instead of 3.1). I can't really see where that £2k is justified.

Both bikes have the same frame (with Di2 "holes"). Looking at the 105 mechanical vs Di2, the differences are the shift levers (R7120 -> R7170) and the derailleurs (R7100 -> R7150 / R7170), so I assume it would be possible to upgrade the bike to 105 Di2 if I really wanted to?

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
Managed to get out for a brief ride yesterday; which confirmed two things: 1. Some tweaks to the front derailleur have improved things a bit (I still need to change the cable), 2. The steerer tube suspension on the Roubaix would be really nice; as almost all of the roads I ride on are in wrist shatteringly terrible condition.

In other news, I went up Norwood Edge today faster than I've ever been before. But I was in the car, so I guess that doesn't count.

I'd go with a new bike if you can finance it.

Sure you might get the old bike running better - but your stuck with old tech - whilst this doesn't mean you cant ride or enjoy your older bike - you will get the niceties that come with a bang up to date bike.

I confirmed with Specialized that it is literally just the Di2 shifters and derailleurs (and the FutureShock 3.2 vs 3.1) between the Comp and 105. No idea how they're justifying a £2k jump in price for that, but hey ho. I'll likely go for the 105 and maybe in the future upgrade to the Di2 parts.

just a warning upgrading to di2 parts will cost you more than you think......I had to buy a single shifter and that cost me £200 - I might now need a long cage di2 derailer that close to £300. imo if you want di2 you are far better speccing it on a new bike than buying parts later

Top Bottom