What's a decent bike lock please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
Grandson has just got a new bike .. nothing fancy, but probably worth £200 so looking for a decent lock

Obviously a super heavy lock is going to be best, but for a 14 year old looking to get an 'average' lock if there is such a thing

Perhaps just leaving bike outside a shop or school, not being left for hours on end

thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
A small D or folding lock, not overly heavy and fit to frame
Eg and can use cable to secure front wheel, shackle round back wheel and frame
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Abus-Ultimate-420-D-Lock-and-Cable-Pack_205561.htm
Or a bit cheaper but less meaty
https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-ultra-410-d-bike-lock-77982.html
Or folder can use round thicker things like street signs
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...abus-5700-bordo-folding-lock-80cm-736614.html

(Other retailers might be cheaper etc)

Mike_P

Guru
Definitely a small D lock. Suggest not a Kryptonite one as their frame mounts are fussy strap things which invariably IME do not last; solution to that incidentally is plenty of tape around the frame and a hose clip forced through the mount.

Punkawallah

Über Member
The nice boys at Cade Media did a test on bike locks with a battery angle grinder. About a minute (or less) to get through most of them. The insurance company ‘diamond’ standard lasted longest - at which point they cut through the frame instead.
At best bike locks act as a deterrent; if your thief really wants it, it’s gone.

Which is a long way round to saying I use a £ shop cable lock. Just makes it easier to steal a bike that’s not locked at all. That and the thieves who would want an ‘83 Galaxy should be rare :-)

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Most opportunists don't have a battery operated angle grinder to hand, but lots of people do have wire cutters/scissors etc. Some of those cable locks could just be pulled apart or snipped with wire snippers or whatever is to hand.

Grandson has just got a new bike .. nothing fancy, but probably worth £200 so looking for a decent lock

Obviously a super heavy lock is going to be best, but for a 14 year old looking to get an 'average' lock if there is such a thing

Perhaps just leaving bike outside a shop or school, not being left for hours on end

thanks

I bought a Magnum from Wilkos, It comes with £1000 Insurance, It cost just over £30, not bad for life time insurance.. It's pick and drill resistant. I also have a padlock alarm from Halfords which cost £12.50. I got a chain for £18 from local hardware store. I use both as Magnum advise using a second lock to be sure to be sure. Better than walking home I reckon.

Most household insurances will cover bicycles of that value but often require a lock to be of a specific standard.

Check with the company - I check every year and the last 2 have just said it needs to be locked

The specific bike insurance (most seem to be similar) had a list or requirements that made me think they would be a nightmare if it actually got stolen and they want proof that you complied with a,b,c,d etc

Oh - btw - I use a chunky numeric lock for quick things - and may be easier to get a teenager to actually use!
For more long term stuff (e.g. supermarket) I use a D-lock - Gold standard - but then it is an ebike so worth more!

Check with the company - I check every year and the last 2 have just said it needs to be locked

The specific bike insurance (most seem to be similar) had a list or requirements that made me think they would be a nightmare if it actually got stolen and they want proof that you complied with a,b,c,d etc

Oh - btw - I use a chunky numeric lock for quick things - and may be easier to get a teenager to actually use!
For more long term stuff (e.g. supermarket) I use a D-lock - Gold standard - but then it is an ebike so worth more!

You can get an RFID tag that goes in seat stem from Halfords, £15.

You can get an RFID tag that goes in seat stem from Halfords, £15.

Not sure how much use this is
Great thing - but it is unlikely that the Police will find your bike - and if they do then it is likely after you have reported it stolen to the insurance
In which case legally the bike belong to the insurance company

Better off having the insurance and just accepting the loss and getting a new bike with the money!

Top Bottom