What's a decent bike lock please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure how much use this is
Great thing - but it is unlikely that the Police will find your bike - and if they do then it is likely after you have reported it stolen to the insurance
In which case legally the bike belong to the insurance company

Better off having the insurance and just accepting the loss and getting a new bike with the money!

I don't have insurance except for the Magnum lock and padlock with built in alarm.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have insurance except for the Magnum lock and padlock with built in alarm.
Home insurance? Lock insurance is a bit of a nonsense often, have to prove that it was locked correctly and also if cut etc, you need all the bits. If any get lost/thief chucks, you’re stuffed.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Not sure how much use this is
Great thing - but it is unlikely that the Police will find your bike - and if they do then it is likely after you have reported it stolen to the insurance
In which case legally the bike belong to the insurance company

Better off having the insurance and just accepting the loss and getting a new bike with the money!

If it’s anything like the insurance Companies I’ve heard of, once the bike is recovered, the insurance company consider it done, and you’re on your own.

Gunk

Guru

We’ve have just upgraded our household policy to add all the bikes as all risk, so as long as they are locked up they are covered, I’ve got a coupLe of Kryptonite New York U locks which seem to be pretty well rated, although bloody heavy.

We’ve have just upgraded our household policy to add all the bikes as all risk, so as long as they are locked up they are covered, I’ve got a coupLe of Kryptonite New York U locks which seem to be pretty well rated, although bloody heavy.

My locks aren't light and so far been a good deterrent. I guess home insurance would be cheaper if you have camera security too?

Dadam

A bit of a generalisation but there are opportunists and “pro” thieves. Opportunists will nick anything if they get the chance, doesn’t matter how old or ratty. If they get a tenner for it from a low level dealer to get to his clients on then they’re happy. They’ll carry cable cutters and/or shorter bolt croppers, concealable and quick. Cable cutters will do for cable locks in seconds, probably quicker than using a key. Croppers can defeat cheap crappy d locks and thin chains especially if locked close to the ground where they can brace one handle on the ground and use body weight.

Pros are the ones using the grinders and targeting more expensive bikes. You can put off most of the opportunists with a decent lock, there’ll often be another bike with a cable lock but to avoid being targeted by the pros you need to lower your risk profile, being careful of where, when and for how long you lock the bike.

A bit of a generalisation but there are opportunists and “pro” thieves. Opportunists will nick anything if they get the chance, doesn’t matter how old or ratty. If they get a tenner for it from a low level dealer to get to his clients on then they’re happy. They’ll carry cable cutters and/or shorter bolt croppers, concealable and quick. Cable cutters will do for cable locks in seconds, probably quicker than using a key. Croppers can defeat cheap crappy d locks and thin chains especially if locked close to the ground where they can brace one handle on the ground and use body weight.

Pros are the ones using the grinders and targeting more expensive bikes. You can put off most of the opportunists with a decent lock, there’ll often be another bike with a cable lock but to avoid being targeted by the pros you need to lower your risk profile, being careful of where, when and for how long you lock the bike.

Agreed - but there is an extra type of opportunist
the genuine opportunist who is wandering about with no intention of knicking a bike but if the chance come up they will go for it

It might be a simple as being an easier way to get home where they will dump it - possibly by the side of the road - possibly in a canal!

These people - in my opinion - are the majority in areas with few bikes but they don;t carry any specific tools.
Hence they are after something easy and quick that requires little or no effort
And they often don't know one bike from another - maybe recognise some of the more expensive but common bits but not much

On my High Street there are often several bike just parked up with no apparently chains/locks or anything - and yet they don't get knicked much as far as I know. OK - they are normally rubbish bike - but they work.
There are also bikes locked up with cheap Pond Shop/supermarket cable locks - any decent cutters would go through them in a second - but again they seem to stay there

In these circumstances locking my ebike up with a "no too bad" cable lock though the wheels and a D-Lock round the frame and cycle stand is probably OK - especially if I take the battery!

But I still have it insured and check the insurance security requirements every year!

Dadam

I have my e-bikes insured through Bikmo who stipulate they must be locked with a sold secure gold lock. At work I lock with an Abus Granit d-lock through frame and rear wheel and a basic but solid d lock for front wheel. At home they’re in a locked garage which was ok itself for bikmo, but I lock them with 12mm Kryptonite chain through a Pragmasis ground anchor. I might upgrade the chain for home and use the kryptonite for work as it’s gold rated, leaving it on the rack. Luckily my office is in a relatively secure area overlooked by offices on 3 sides with 24/7 surveillance but not visible from the street.

Top Bottom