cycle cafe where cyclists cant meet ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's so vaguely worded I'd be worried about walking there simply because I own a bike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It all hinges on a NIMBY neighbour, by the look of it. That will be somebody elderly and well connected who hates looking out and seeing gangs of mostly men roving around and talking loudly outside their house. I can understand how this upsets people; there have been plenty of complaints from residents of quiet villages about sportives coming through. It's the sudden shouts or loud voices that cause alarm.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yet drive a clattery diesel van, which is probably making more dB's of noise, down the street and no one bats an eyelid.

And how would the council prove that an organised ride had turned up? Would they summons the riders to give evidence against themselves?

"Were you on a group ride?"

"Oh no your honour, I turned into the street just as Bob, Dave, Bert, Brian, Fred, Al, Ted, Ginger, Algy, Norman, Cecil, Isambard, Kevin, Abdul, Pierre and Fritz all turned in. Utter coincidence."

Im not sure how the Council ever thinks they can prove a breach of the injunction.

In addition, I'm not sure ultimately how lawful it would be if it were ever tested. It's completely beyond the control of the proprietor if a group on a ride all turn up together, and I'm not sure punishing person B for the unsolicited behaviour of person A will fly in Court.

Clearly the quality of local authorities legal counsel hasn't improved in the 3 years since I left the Feds.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I think a company rebrand is in order. The owners should have a meeting point for the owners of modified cars (those with ‘tuned’ exhausts in particular ). Some nice street cruises originated from there should satisfy the person who raised the complaint. Nitrous Oxide Life has a nice ring to it.

Bunch of fuds.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
Maybe as a local resident I can get the council to issue an injunction banning motorists against the petrol station near me. There are motorists queued up there all the time.

Julia9054

Guru
Does “cyclist” have a legal definition?
On the Twitter thread discussing this, someone seemed to think that there was some sort of legal test case that said you were only a cyclist if you were riding the bike. If you were pushing it (or, presumably, if you left it in the car) you were a pedestrian.
Naturally, this would need fact checking but, if true, it rather makes a nonsense of the whole injunction.

alicat

Legendary Member
It doesn't need one. The OED definition or a commonsense definition will do fine.

The lycra will be a bit of a giveaway on this occasion. :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
The injuntion doesn't define "cyclist", so if challenged it would be for the court to decide what a cyclist was.

Remember, this is all civil law, and breaching the injunction is a contempt of court thing, not a crimimal offence - what the road traffic act and its case law defines as a cyclist isn't relevant, although it's the obvious starting point for trying to prove or disprove a case.

Top Bottom