cycle capes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brooks

I've enjoyed reading this thread as it's brought back memories of my old man who cycled everywhere and was never without his cape. He had it tied to his saddlebag and I'm sure it was one of those old oilskin ones.😀

freiston

Veteran
I still use one - used it last week (and felt a bit smug seeing other cyclists looking like they were suffering from the downpour). Brilliant piece of kit. Keeps me dry without getting all sweaty, keeps my lower body dry too. I've used it cycle-touring too. Much more practical than jacket and over-trousers. It's not a problem in the wind (it has a waist strap and thumb loops that stop it blowing all over the place) and I can still use my bar-end shifters without issue. My hand signals are a bit low and not as far out as usual but saying that, they're still more out there than a lot of cyclists' hand signals that I see.

You can still buy them. I use a Carradice Pro Route

pawl

Legendary Member
I was watching a film on you tube about a British Rail film on you tube
A railway special for cyclists 🚴‍♀️ must have been filmed around late fifties early sixties.Not a shred of Lycra around Plenty of Carradice saddle bags with the all important cape strapped on.

It really took me back in time.to a period I remember well.

Leather saddles Green Spot jacket and I wore pants under my whipcord shorts 🦖

Cycling was so simple back then. Obviously there are somethings I don’t miss

Happy day’s 👍🤪🤪🤪

jay clock

Massive member

Happy days 👍🤪🤪🤪
Like the gearing on old bikes. My 1985 Orbit touring bike was 36 at the front and something like a 25 at the back. I asked to swap to a 34 and they mumbled something about HTFU. About the same time I first rode an MTB with a triple (22 or 24?) and could not believe that it was actually possible to cycle up hills

freiston

Veteran
I was watching a film on you tube about a British Rail film on you tube
A railway special for cyclists 🚴‍♀️ must have been filmed around late fifties early sixties.Not a shred of Lycra around Plenty of Carradice saddle bags with the all important cape strapped on.

It really took me back in time.to a period I remember well.

Leather saddles Green Spot jacket and I wore pants under my whipcord shorts 🦖

Happy day’s 👍🤪🤪🤪
Rugby! Who wants to go to Rugby?

View: https://youtu.be/QPkT0paGEnQ

BigMeatball

I can see people see lycra wanky but cycling capes are just on another level :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sharky

Guru
Really like capes

Top Bottom