cycle capes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
They do look a bit silly, regardless of how functional they might be.

Personally, If I was to wear a cape, then it would have to be a real cape, complete with tuxedo, top hat, stick, suitable facial hair and on a suitable looking bike.

Dressed like a Circus Ring Leader, or, instead, maybe the Lion Tamer look with the big leather boots, I'm not entirely sure yet..... :laugh:

byegad

Legendary Member
Great for short utility rides. I used one to and from school many years ago. For distance work they are hard work, as they act as a sail into a wind. If you are dressed 'normally' they keep you dry without being at all sweaty.

wisdom

Guru
On the fylde coast they act like a sail.
They gather a nice pool between you and the handlebars.I had one as a kid and that are the only memories of them apart from the oilskin smell.
I prefer a waterproof coat and shorts.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Used to use them years ago when on a long ride. Rolled up on top of your saddlebag until needed. Part of a cyclist's survival gear as it was versatile. Could be used as a poncho if necessary. Used as a cape it could keep your bars and hands dry, and cover your saddlebag while you trundled along like a tent on wheels. Best on a low wind, cool day. You had to know where your controls were without seeing them eg downtube shifters, when you took your thumbs out of the loops to change gear. It's a lot easier with Brifters. Also useful if you have to fix a puncture in the rain to provide a shelter to keep the tube dry. An emergency extra layer if the weather suddenly turns cold. Handy for long rides or tours. Mind you, my last one became brittle from being on my saddlebag unused for years, and fell to bits. I ought to get another one, and maybe get out more.

roley poley

Über Member
I have used an army surplus poncho/ground sheet in the past. It was ok for going to town along the tow path where no one saw you much but soon took it off to buy veg in the market as it looks daft and used a folding brolly instead. Not seen one in action for years .

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have used an army surplus poncho/ground sheet in the past. It was ok for going to town along the tow path where no one saw you much but soon took it off to buy veg in the market as it looks daft and used a folding brolly instead. Not seen one in action for years .
Forgot to mention the Looking-Like-a Prat-Factor. If you are just going to the shops and expect to be scrutinised by non cyclists, probably not so good. Better for longer trips.

pawl

Legendary Member
There speaks a man who has never tried one:smile:
I used one all the time........but then I was only 15 and that was 50 years ago.
But they were good........kept all moving parts free and you didn't sweat. The S'wester was mandatory if you wore a cape.
And they had to be made from oilskin so it smelled right.

Never had an oilskin cape just plastic.capes were great fun in a side wind

Many year’s ago we were heading for Harrington youth hostel A strong cross wind was blowing it lifted one of the lads bodily of the road.I doubt he weighed 8 st wet through.

They were certainly efficient in keeping the rider dry.

Not sure how in this day and age how we would cope with something that would negate all the aerodynamic gains we have to day
Personally I don’t ride in the rain if I can avoid it.

yostumpy

Veteran
I have one, because I wanted one. First time I used it, it was lagging it down, straight down, and it was brilliant, lightweight jersey underneath, warm as toast. Whats not to like. Anyone that ridicules something they know nothing of is.. well work it out.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thy used to be all the rage Rob.
Not so much all the rage but the only decent waterproof available. I used one for touring and in fact still carry one. Not so good on windy days right enough but if it looks like only a shower I just sit it out under the cape. When on the move in rain it keeps me dry down to knee level with little or no condensation. If it is showery then fold it up round your neck ready for instant deployment again to avoid condensation.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Someone needs to devise a venetian blind type system so you can raise and lower your cape at a moment's notice by pulling a cord! Save a lot of messing about.

dodgy

Looks slightly disturbing, a bit stabby almost.

1588441127319.png

Top Bottom