Cycle Chat 1 T'other(s) 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Well looking at my surf history for the last week I discover I have hit BM twice and BR errm not at all :ohmy:.
Seems I'm always on here when bike or whaffle surfing (did I get that the right way round ?).
Comfy aint it?
Now, where can I put me pipe and slippers ?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah me too. So comfy I haven't been near BR and you'll have to explain BM to me. Viva CC :ohmy:

Melvil

When C+ changed to BR, I had a go but to be honest my heart wasn't in it so for a couple of weeks I was cycling forum-less, but then someone told me about here and so here I've stayed. Occasionally have a look at the BR classifieds but thats about it.

bonj2

i've been on bikeradar.com a bit today and it seems like there's actually a bit of talk that's actually about cycling, it's quite refreshing.
This place needs to attract a constant stream of newbies, otherwise it is in danger of becoming simply a refugee camp where all the threads are a bit inbred and rely on an understanding of the in-jokes and history of things. I've also noticed a growing tendency for people to start absolutely pointless threads, which people contribute to by adding equally pointless replies.
It's got a bit too bogged down with daft, mucking-about style banter - we could do with some more serious discussions that don't resort to arguments or descend into puerile toilet humour.
Maybe someone should go on a charity bike ride to raise money for some adverts or something to get more newbies interested.
This is a great forum don't get me wrong, but we perhaps need to have a little bit more talk about cycling, especially the dispensing of and heeding of advice.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
i've been on bikeradar.com a bit today and it seems like there's actually a bit of talk that's actually about cycling, it's quite refreshing.
This place needs to attract a constant stream of newbies, otherwise it is in danger of becoming simply a refugee camp where all the threads are a bit inbred and rely on an understanding of the in-jokes and history of things. I've also noticed a growing tendency for people to start absolutely pointless threads, which people contribute to by adding equally pointless replies.
It's got a bit too bogged down with daft, mucking-about style banter - we could do with some more serious discussions that don't resort to arguments or descend into puerile toilet humour.
Maybe someone should go on a charity bike ride to raise money for some adverts or something to get more newbies interested.
This is a great forum don't get me wrong, but we perhaps need to have a little bit more talk about cycling, especially the dispensing of and heeding of advice.

never a bad thing, self awareness, is it :ohmy:

bonj2

alecstilleyedye;43570][quote name= said:
absolutely pointless[/i'] threads, which people contribute to by adding equally pointless replies.

never a bad thing, self awareness, is it :ohmy:[/QUOTE]
what threads have i started that are pointless?
i meant, things like (in no particular order of pointlessness)
Poll: Elton (ivancarlos)
help me for I am weak! (Chuffy)
Elvis impersonators (ivancarlos)
Elvis (ivancarlos again...)
g'night! (Arch)
in fact sorry ivan but it seems to be mainly you, although other established members are doing it aswell.
basically anything that's purely an anecdotal account of some uninteresting and unremarkable event that's occurred or is going to be occurring in your own life that doesn't have any particular moral to the story, or a question that's just completely random and doesn't enable anything to be concluded from the answer is imho a 'pointless' thread.

While I'm on the subject I'll bring up another of my pet hates which is people who give threads a title that is nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of the thread, for example a thread called "Why..." that then goes on to say "... do birds sing...[or whatever.]". Can people stop doing it?! If you think the subject of the thread is so uninteresting that people won't click on the thread if they know what it is then it probably isn't worth creating a thread about.[/i]

Melvil

bonj;43583][quote name= said:
bonj said:
I've also noticed a growing tendency for people to start absolutely pointless[/I'] threads' date=' which people contribute to by adding equally pointless replies.[/quote']

never a bad thing, self awareness, is it :ohmy:

what threads have i started that are pointless?
i meant, things like (in no particular order of pointlessness)
Poll: Elton (ivancarlos)
help me for I am weak! (Chuffy)
Elvis impersonators (ivancarlos)
Elvis (ivancarlos again...)
g'night! (Arch)
in fact sorry ivan but it seems to be mainly you, although other established members are doing it aswell.
basically anything that's purely an anecdotal account of some uninteresting and unremarkable event that's occurred or is going to be occurring in your own life that doesn't have any particular moral to the story, or a question that's just completely random and doesn't enable anything to be concluded from the answer is imho a 'pointless' thread.

While I'm on the subject I'll bring up another of my pet hates which is people who give threads a title that is nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of the thread, for example a thread called "Why..." that then goes on to say "... do birds sing...[or whatever.]". Can people stop doing it?! If you think the subject of the thread is so uninteresting that people won't click on the thread if they know what it is then it probably isn't worth creating a thread about.

Come on, Bonj, don't mince your words, you can be frank, you know...

"bonj" said:
Well, all of the threads you've referred to are in the Cafe. The Cafe is the place for frivolous, non-bike related threads. What makes these threads any less important than, say, a thread in Soapbox? Or your thread in Cafe asking my what my avatar is? It's all about creating a community rather than just a dry Q&A site.

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Well, all of the threads you've referred to are in the Cafe. The Cafe is the place for frivolous, non-bike related threads. What makes these threads any less important than, say, a thread in Soapbox? Or your thread in Cafe asking my what my avatar is? It's all about creating a community rather than just a dry Q&A site.

Hmmm... don't get me wrong I've no particular beef against the odd pointless thread, it's just they seem to be taking over a bit recently.
We should all be entitled to the odd one, e.g. you can appreciate how my one about your avatar wasn't pointless to me because it was bugging me, even if it may have seemed pointless to others, so perhaps i should have pm'ed you, but still.
But a deeper point I am trying to make is that there isn't a need for pointless threads in order to maintain a community and online personalities. In other words, you say the Cafe is the place for "frivolous, non-bike related" threads. But non-bike related doesn't have to necessarily mean frivolous. You* can have discussions about stuff if you think about it for a minute and consider what might actually be interesting to discuss rather than just reeling off the top of your head whatever bollocks happens to have just entered your brain a second ago.

*from here on i'm not referring to you personally but just 'one' generally!

Well I was discussing biscuits and few things in life are as important as that. Basically, the Cafe is the place for shooting the breeze and talking crap with your mates. Only, you don't know they're your mates until you have burbled some rubbish, about biscuits for example, and seen what response you get. If you go to the pub, do you only ever talk about Important Stuff or do you and your mates burble at each other, only occasionally straying onto a serious topic? It's all in the appropriate place, so what's the problem?

Keith Oates

Janner
bonj, if you really want serious discussion that's fine, but then you have to talk sense and not about such things as how raising the C of G increases stability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom