Cycle clothing and sizing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moda

Been looking for a waterproof cycle jacket when I spotted a Mavic HC H20 Waterproof Jacket on a rail across the shop. Perfect!!!

Tried a large my normal size and I swear they'd incorrectly labeled it from a small.... it was tiny. Ended up trying on a XXL eeeek! And trying to pull the 2 zips together and I was still 2.5? inches from them coming together.

What is it with cycle clothing? Just about every decent brand only does sizes suitable for children.

Anyway still looking for a decent durable cycling waterproof.

vickster

Legendary Member
Endura pak a jak? Altura pocket rocket?

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Endura pak a jak? Altura pocket rocket?

Have tried Altura (stealth 2 jacket) but still found the largest size a touch restrictive.

Had to return a pair of shoes this morning as the size 12 (47) were way too small. Even had the shop assistant scratching his head as looking at the shoes I was wearing it was obvious the cycle ones were much smaller..... go figure!

vickster

Legendary Member
Have tried Altura (stealth 2 jacket) but still found the largest size a touch restrictive.

Had to return a pair of shoes this morning as the size 12 (47) were way too small. Even had the shop assistant scratching his head as looking at the shoes I was wearing it was obvious the cycle ones were much smaller..... go figure!
How big are you? These aren't too classy, but waterproof and are generously sized

http://www.parker-international.co....rrer=froogle&gclid=CNTfo6Wi8bgCFS3HtAod1zEAFg

Or Tenn vapour jacket? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenn-Mens-Vapor-Cycling-Jacket/dp/B009NENHVS These go mahoosive!!

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Hey, would normally take a large.

I am looking to get a good quality long term waterproof cycling jacket as such don't mind paying a premium price for it. My budget is around £200. Going to try Rapha tomorrow but not holding out much hope after my current experience.

I think the OP is looking for a jacket rather than shoes
He did mention shoes

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes that's par for the course with cycle specific sizing. I use running gear as well as walking kit and running gear suffers from the same issues as cycle specific stuff. If you are a racing snake you are a large!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
What is it with cycle clothing? Just about every decent brand only does sizes suitable for children.
It's because they market to racing cyclists, or wannabe racing cyclists. Their idea of "large " is someone like Chris Froome (1.85m/6'1", but skinny as a rake).
Generally UK or US brands are more realistic as there's a much higher proportion of leisure/non-racing cyclists.

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Their idea of "large " is someone like Chris Froome (1.85m/6'1", but skinny as a rake).

Generally UK or US brands are more realistic as there's a much higher proportion of leisure/non-racing cyclists.
Took this image the other day (first time I've seen a Dogma in real life) and looking at the rider no wonder nothing fits me!

e5apenez.jpg

From a business perspective surely it's a bad call to have such restrictive sizing as you alienate a large part of your potential market.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's because they market to racing cyclists, or wannabe racing cyclists. Their idea of "large " is someone like Chris Froome (1.85m/6'1", but skinny as a rake).
Generally UK or US brands are more realistic as there's a much higher proportion of leisure/non-racing 'well built', heavier, cyclists.
FTFY.
Coming from the other end of the spectrum, its actually difficult to buy reasonably priced kit that is small enough. I bought a 'small' Tenn LS top recently (38-40" - that's not small really is it?) and it's like a tent. Huge neck opening and flapping sleeves. I think the European sizing is actually much more accurate, and much UK/US stuff is 'vanity' sized

OP
OP
Moda

Moda

Ok thanks everyone after some really determined searching today I found a Gore bike wear Oxygen jacket that's reasonably well fitting (could be a touch longer in the front) which was in the sales.

Got a pair of Louis Garneau LS-100 Road Shoes for my spd-sl pedals also from the sales.

Expensive day but got what I needed to get!

Top Bottom