Cycle clubs in Nottingham?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
😅Ha, thanks for the warning. I'm quite small and a light weight, so I think I would tip over if someone tried barging me or elbowed me.:shy: Any predictions when the track will allow the taster sessions to go ahead- do you think I'll have to wait till 2021?

He can handle himself and he's 5' 7" and only 53kg. You're more balanced that you realise and it's only on the limit where issues arise as in the video above posted by @cougie uk . I've never had an issue with others in taster / training sessions and only the odd few in racing.

Manchester's just opened up for taster sessions and Derby tends to be 3-4 weeks behind. It's worth giving them a call. And this is what a Derby taster session is like - much gentler. Until someone appears comfortable they don't go above the bottom/black line:

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

That looks so painful!!!!!! Do you think they got seriously hurt?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That looks so painful!!!!!! Do you think they got seriously hurt?

The first one's from the madison, which is the most dangerous and oddest event. And probably most of them will have got wood burn (track road rash) plus other injuries. My son's been injured in madison when another pair mis-timed the change and one was flipped up onto my son's head - cue a big crash and concussion for both. One of his team-mates broke her leg in January when a lapped rider swung up without looking and the lead group hit her - I was about 2 bikes behind the lead rider who simply had nowhere to go.

Most injuries from the track are minor. Honest :okay:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

The first one's from the madison, which is the most dangerous and oddest event. And probably most of them will have got wood burn (track road rash) plus other injuries. My son's been injured in madison when another pair mis-timed the change and one was flipped up onto my son's head - cue a big crash and concussion for both. One of his team-mates broke her leg in January when a lapped rider swung up without looking and the lead group hit her - I was about 2 bikes behind the lead rider who simply had nowhere to go.

Most injuries from the track are minor. Honest :okay:
Why is it odd and dangerous? Flipped onto someone's head!!:ohmy:

Big T

Guru
What sort of competitions are you looking to do? Road racing? Time trialling? Cyclocross? Track?
There are a number of clubs based in and around Nottingham and some group rides where several clubs take part.

One of the best training rides is known as the Parrot. It meets at 9.45am on a Saturday morning at Lowdham, near the Magna Charta pub. They will go out and do 60 miles at 20+mph average. You do get some big hitters on this ride - James Shaw, who is riding the World Road Champs on Sunday often goes out, as well as a lot of the local road racers.

If you are looking for TT’s then Sherwood, Mapperley, Nottm Clarion and VC Long Eaton all hold evening TT races during the summer and have members who race TT’s. For road racing - OVB, Ashfield, Beeston RC or Beeston CC, or Ilkeston CC all have members who do road racing. Many of these clubs have riders who race cyclocross during the winter.

Things are a bit up in the air at the moment with Covid. Many clubs are restricting numbers for club rides and there’s not much racing going on.

There are a couple of clubs based in West Bridgford who have training rides for different abilities - West Bridgford CC and Velo Club Bridgford, though they are not that interested in racing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom