Cycle commuting and terrorism.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

Cycling Mayor Boris 'at risk of terror attack'

nlnews@archant.co.uk
11 June 2008

20080611163256.jpg
New Mayor of London Boris Johnson continues to cycle to work
MAYOR of London Boris Johnson is at serious risk of a terrorist attack because he refuses to stop cycling to work, experts have warned.

Most famous politicians travel in cars with reinforced windows driven by highly-trained chauffeurs. But despite having one of the most high-profile jobs in the country, Mr Johnson, of Furlong Road, Holloway, still uses pedal power.

It means he is far more vulnerable to an attempt on his life on the streets of Islington because:

* You can change routes and escape far less effectively by bike

* Cars act as a container from attack while bikes offer no protection

* Vehicles with tinted windows mean attackers have no idea if the target is inside and where he is sitting - on a bike it is obvious

Terrorism expert Dr Peter Neumann, of King's College London, says after the prime minister, home secretary and defence secretary, Mr Johnson is the UK's most high profile politician. He thinks one of the first things the police would have done after Mr Johnson took office was to ask him to stop cycling.

Dr Neumann warned: "The risk he faces increased a lot when he became Mayor. What is particularly problematic is cycling. He is not in a car, so he has no protection. If someone wanted to do him harm it would be quite easy. Immediately on taking office he would have been advised on security." He added: "There is very little one can do to protect him on a bike. It makes him very vulnerable. I would strongly advise him not to ride into work."

His concerns were echoed by Danny Doyle, who owns 655 Ltd, a prestigious firm of bodyguards who have protected politicians and film stars. He said: "It is a bit silly of him to go by bike. He has a high position and quite a bit of power, like a mini-Prime Minister. If someone wants to make a point by getting to him they could easily do it. It would be sensible to go by car or have someone following him by motorbike. But it is up to the person - no-one can force them to have protection."

A police spokesman said they would not comment on security matters. But Mr Johnson said: "I continue to cycle to work. I am told by the Commissioner that there is no security threat to me. I think that is less a comment on whatever risk I have than a comment on the success and hard work of the police.

http://tinyurl.com/4m9395

Here's a radical solution, just close the Holloway Road to all traffic bar cyclists and hand out free blonde wigs to cyclists, job's a good 'un.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
* You can change routes and escape far less effectively by bike
I would have thought the first half of that statement was completely wrong. Especially given Boris's habit of going the wrong way up one-way roads.

Didn't Ken travel in by underground every day ?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
TBH, I think he is taking a risk. When he and David Cameron were followed by those newspaper reporters, it showed that terrorists could do the same. I suppose there are some things he could do to minimise the risk, such as wearing a pollution mask and helmet, changing his route and departure times often, and beefing up security around his home and near work.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

Why did everybody ignore my sensible solution?

Picture it, a sea of bobbing Boris clones, all suited, all be-wigged, trundling sedately down the Holloway Road, terrorists scratching their heads at the side of the road, without a clue who to shoot in the head.

byegad

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:
Is this opposed to Ken who took the tube? Never been any terrorist attacks there... ;)

Ah but Ken was a Labour Politician, Boris is a Conservative. Draw your own comclusion

HERE!

Origamist

Legendary Member
User said:
The risk to the Mayor of London is minimal. As a cyclist, Boris is actually better able to escape any attack, given his greater manoeuvrability on London's as a cyclist as compared to being in a car.

Not really sure about that. If a terrorist wanted to kill Boris he could simply mow him down at speed from behind whilst at the wheel of a quiet and weighty Lexus.

I should think Boris is at far greater risk of being involved in an RTA than a terrorist attack...

benjus

I think Boris's strategy is to send out a whole platoon of Boris look-a-likes on bikes to distract the terrorists. Click on the small pictures on this page to see some of the look-a-likes:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...fers+blonds+wearing+a+cycle+helmet/article.do

hackbike 6

Yellow Fang said:
TBH, I think he is taking a risk. When he and David Cameron were followed by those newspaper reporters, it showed that terrorists could do the same. I suppose there are some things he could do to minimise the risk, such as wearing a pollution mask and helmet, changing his route and departure times often, and beefing up security around his home and near work.

...and wearing a wig.

Top Bottom