Cycle Compter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peanut_77

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any well priced cycle computers out there that work a lot better than my Strava app on my iPhone, a few days ago I set off on my ride and started my Strava and put it in my back pocket and when I finished it hadn’t picked anything up so I hadn’t recorded my ride.

I’m assuming that a cycle computer would be better equipped than my phone and would prefer one that links to Strava so I can upload.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Garmin GPS unit, you’ll need to sync with your computer unless you get a more costly one with Bluetooth. Advantage is you can also see distance, speed etc while riding

Or the Wahoo equivalent

I’ve never had an issue with strava on an iPhone, when I remember to turn it on! Could try a handlebar mount, having in back pocket isn’t a great idea as if you have a fall you could damage it and it you!

It’s not really a disaster if you fail to record one ride (although big rides I use phone and garmin). Are you sure it started properly or your back didn’t turn it off?!

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I use Cyclemeter app on my phone works really well, use a mount on my bars and battery on low mode so not to run it down and it's fine.
I would like however the garmin edge the dinky one see how that works out.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I use Cyclemeter app on my phone works really well, use a mount on my bars and battery on low mode so not to run it down and it's fine.
I would like however the garmin edge the dinky one see how that works out.

I use Cyclemeter too. I have a top bar bag with phone holder built into the lid rather than mount my phone on the handlebars (too dangerous). The app does everything I want except turn-by-turn directions. I do import my routes made on Google My Maps as a blank ride to display the route on the in-app map. This provides a dotted line showing my route to follow. It does mean I have to stop and check I’m going the right way now and again, but I think I prefer that to having a nagging sat nav in my ear. The app shows everything a regular cycle computer would do. Plus it’s cheaper than buying a Garmin. The Cyclemeter app is free for Basic and £10 per year for Elite. The £10 is well worth it I believe especially versus the price of a Garmin.

However, I’ve never used a Garmin so I could be easily wrong!

Has anyone tried both?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I used to use Runkeeper App, on iPhone, but, I was given a Garmin Edge Touring for my (70th) birthday, so, now I use that.

I prefer the Garmin, because it auto-pauses and seems more accurate.

I sync to Runkeeper via my PC.

Top Bottom