Cycle Computer and/or HR Monitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I'd like to get a new cycle computer and am struggling to find one that has the features I want, has good reviews and in my price point.

Obviously I want speed and distance recorded. If it can reliably inform me of my HR rate, in real-time, that would be a bonus. The key there is "reliable", I don't want to have to press any buttons while I'm riding or even look at my wrist, just see what my HR as I ride up a hill or put my foot down on the flat. If it could continue to record my HR when not riding (e.g. running on a treadmill) that would also be useful.

If it can do cadence as well, that would be a bonus, but by no means a requirement.

I don't want GPS or any other features that will drive the price up, therefore I would set a budget of £100.

I've looked at the Cateye Strada 420, which seems to do it all, but I'm convinced on the quality of it, given various reviews on Wiggle & Amazon.

TIA for any input or recommedations.

zizou

Veteran
I dont want to be one of those people that immediately recommends something over the quoted budget but despite that id caution against only looking at non-GPS devices if your budget goes to £100

IMO the 'best value' options are either a normal regular computer (with no GPS, no ant+) and you can get a decent wireless one of those for between £20-30 or the entry level GPS units around about £100. That would get you a forerunner 15 watch with HRM belt (you can mount forerunners to your bars for cycling then wear it on your wrist for running) or for something more cycling specific then an Garmin Edge 25 with HRM belt is about £110 if you shop around, or you may get it for a bit cheaper for the basic one without the HRM belt and buy a cheaper non Garmin HRM belt.

The non GPS units that can do heart rate, cadence etc might be a little cheaper than that, and im sure they do what they do well, however they are also the worst value of the 3 options.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Good to hear positive reviews. Budget was only indicative, though I certainly don't want to extend to £300+ Garmin 800.

The Edge 25 seems about what I'm looking for in functionality. Perhaps I can ask a couple of specific questions for those that are familiar with it:
  • Is the screen easy to read and scroll through different outputs while riding, even with winter gloves on
  • Can Heart Rate be displayed in real-time. I haven't seen any pictures of the device in which current HR is actually displayed. That is key really, I could link a HR strap with my iPhone 5S for data collected during the ride
  • Can it be detached easily (for using it in a gym)
  • Does it use attachments to the fork (sensor) & front-wheel spoke (button) to record speed and distance? Would be cool if I could easily switch between my road & mountain bike
Thanks

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Bah, just read around and understand that the Edge 25 doesn't display BPM on the screen, just captures heart rate it and makes it available later. Completely useless.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
I'm leaning towards a simple HR strap, a bar mount for my iPhone 5s and the Cyclemeter app. They seem to do everything I need at a fraction of the cost of a poorly designed cycle computer.

Am I missing something?

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
OK. I guess the reviewer that I read hadn't figured out how to do that. Those are the type of features I'm looking for.

Thanks for the clarification, mate. Birthday present to myself later this month I think :whistle:

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
[QUOTE 4141461, member: 45"]It does. You can customize three screens of info, and scroll through them when you're riding yourself or set it to auto-scroll. It definitely shows BPM live. You can set your heart rate zones as well and it will beep if you move out of one that you want to stay in.

I'd throughly recommend it. You can upload routes which is will show as a breadcrumb trail with a beep at junctions. It will also synch with a speed sensor which you put on your back wheel so you can use it on a trainer, and will synch with a cadence sensor. It even shows phone texts as they come through if you're that way inclined.

It easily twists off the mount and will go in a pocket. It measures speed using GPS so you don't have to use a speed sensor on the wheel unless you're on a trainer.[/QUOTE]

Hi mate. I decided to buy on it a whim yesterday :smile:

I'm not sure I understand you though, it has 2 screens, not 3, that you can choose to customise and neither of them have the option to display Heart Rate. As the review I read on this device mentions, the Ride Options are just for a zone so that you will be alerted when you exceed that zone's heart rate. Am I missing something, this really isn't what I wanted?

Appreciate your help on this.

midlife

Guru
garmin_edge_25_page_fc_web-500x368.jpg

There are lots of pictures with the edge 25 showing BPM so I guess its hidden in a menu somewhere?

Shaun

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Yeah, just been out for a walk with it on. It does scroll through to BPM it's not just not obvious in the setup screens. Its a little frustrating that you can't pin BPM to a single screen. I suppose that's what separates this small, entry-level device from the larger and significantly more expensive models.

On a happier note, when in Indooors mode and GPS is turned off, you can leave it on the BPM screen which will be great for running on a treadmill at the gym.

Top Bottom