cycle computer gon heywire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

troyka

i was sitting at the traffic lights and my speedo was hitting 71mph im stationary and baffled.. its just a cheap wireless one from wilkinsons any thought on why it would do that? maybe the under road sensors?

There tons of electronics that would interfere with a cheap wireless computer, could be a car, a electronic box at the side of the road, or something on you your phone, lights etc. the list is pretty endless.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
wouldn't mind seeing your average speed from that run tho, you should take a pic and show off to everyone. "yeah i averaged 40mph on my commute this morning!"

Cubist

Still wavin'
LED lights are the most likely culprit, but so are taxi radios, and famously, mine once did 72mph on the breadbin thanks to the kitchen LED downlighters!

dirtybackbeat

i had the same computer and it kept shooting up to 32mph when i knew for a fact i was doing about 10 due to the huge hill in front of me! this happened in the same place all the time. just got a a new cateye computer and no probs on same stretch of road. there seemed to be nothing accurate on the wilko one as it was interfered with constantly

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
i was sitting at the traffic lights and my speedo was hitting 71mph im stationary and baffled.. its just a cheap wireless one from wilkinsons any thought on why it would do that? maybe the under road sensors?
If I got my arithmetic right, and assuming you have 700 wheels, then this corresponds to a pulse frequency of 866 pulses per minute. That is in the right ball-park for the ignition pulses on a car engine at idle, so that is another possible cause.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1423358"]
We've got an electronic pass door entry system at work. If I parked one of my bikes too close to the door it would often do many miles a day without me.
[/quote]

Yeah my wireless cateye used to go haywire as I entered the office. I eventually swapped for a wired one.

I did over 100 mph once. I know I was going downhill at the time, but I think that was pushing it a bit.

I got over 800mph on my old wireless VDO computer once. I was stationary at a railway crossing when about 6ft away a waiting peds phone rang. I stopped when his call ended for some reason. I only ever had two blips with that. The other was when a Merc got awfully close in traffic. VDO make their speedos apparently.

Top Bottom