Cycle computer on a recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spiro

Having just got a HPGT I am thinking about fitting a computer. I was thinking about a wireless one to avoid the need for wiring and also because I am unsure were I would mount it. Having looked on this forum and looked at the manufacturers websites I am now unsure because of the need for the transmitter and receiver being directly (or almost) aligned and the close proximity. What do you use and were is it mounted?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Howdo.

I have an SMGTe (which depending on your preference for acronyms is either the same bike as you, the aluminium framed version, or another ride entirely) and have a wired cateye strada on board.

I run the cadence sensor along the boom to reach the chainring (the space between the crank and boom is too far for the magnets to read), and the speed sensor adjacent to it, then down the fork to the front wheel.

The Cateyes (maybe others) have mounts that allow you mount at 90 degrees, for bar or stem, so the computer itself sits on the very top of the left handlebar grip, facing upright.

Cabling is pretty tight, but it works. Given I'm running dynamo front and rear lights, one more set of cables hardly detracts. :biggrin:

If you've got twist grips on the bent, you might want to consider mounting the computer elsewhere, or formalise the cable routing, as the wire can get get in the way as it passes down the bar end.

My other bike is a Furai with USS. I have a Cateye wireless aboard, which sits atop the boom, pointing towards me. Its mounted with a combination of luck, cable ties, and general disregard for its safety. It seems to have no issue reading through the boom thus far. The batteries are new though, and the Furai is pretty lightweight aluminium compared to the GTe, or worse GT.

The main issue I had throughout was getting the sensors close to the magnets. For cadence, the rear stays do not flare behind the bottom bracket to bring it close to cranks, and 20 inch wheels don't afford that many options to get close to a (suspension) fork up front.

Let me know how you get on.

Oh, and welcome. :smile:
You may get more replies in the Recumbent and HPV Section.

I have ridden one of these for over ten years.

I have eventually settled for an Edge 305, but the mounting has been unchanged.

Early on I fitted a Space Grip

Space_Grip_shortth.jpg

The base is turned through 90 degrees during the fitting and is placed on the derailleur post, facing back th the rider.

Solves the problems of the distance for wireless computers and is in the eye line all the time.

I have never used cadence, but this position would also enable close access to the chainset.

Top Bottom