Cycle computer problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieR

My Cateye Velo 7 (wired) computer is perfect for my needs - simple to operate and a very clear display.
However it has stopped working. I have done all the following:
Changed the battery
Reset the device
Checked the position of the magnet
Added another magnet
Cleaned the contacts
Put Vaseline on the contacts
Checked the wiring.
All to no avail.
I have checked the function of the computer by shorting out the contacts repeatedly and this registers speed, so no problem there.
Is there anything else I can do, or is the solution to give up and buy a new one?
By the way, would it not be a good idea to have a separate forum for cycle accessories?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
By the way, would it not be a good idea to have a separate forum for cycle accessories?
Welcome to CC @CharlieR!
I have moved your thread to the accessories section ;)

My Cateye Velo 7 (wired) computer is perfect for my needs - simple to operate and a very clear display.
However it has stopped working. I have done all the following:
Changed the battery
Reset the device
Checked the position of the magnet
Added another magnet
Cleaned the contacts
Put Vaseline on the contacts
Checked the wiring.
All to no avail.
I have checked the function of the computer by shorting out the contacts repeatedly and this registers speed, so no problem there.
Is there anything else I can do, or is the solution to give up and buy a new one?

You're halfway there, now that you know the computer itself works. Now test the reed switch by putting a multitester across the two contacts and check for continuity when the magnet is at the pick-up sensor position. If you don't have a multitester, get one for 10 bucks online. It'll be the best thing you've bought this year.

Slioch

Guru
I had a similar problem with an old wired computer on one of my bikes. I gently filed down the contact points and it works fine now. I have no idea why this worked so don't waste your time asking. :smile:

Added another magnet

By the way, if your computer starts working again and you notice that your average speed has miraculously increased from 12 to 24mph and you're travelling twice as far as you used to, then you may want to remove one of the magnets.:okay:

Top Bottom