Cycle Computor, cadence, heart rate, working Zones etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I have been reading some of the threads in this fitness zone...

Currently I am close to 5'12, and overweight at about 106 KG. Before I had chicken pox before my 40th birthday two years ago, I was about 93-95 KG.

So I need to lose at least 10 kg.

Simple, eat less exercise more or even both.

Sure no problem...

But reading the threads here suggests that I should monitor my heart rate and keep within defined regions, using my gears to keep my heart rate low, even if means cycling slower.

Something to do with efficiency or metabolism etc, I can sort of see the logic.

My route to work is about 10 miles each way.

I know I need to reread some of these threads again, but can any one suggest:

• A recommended cycle computer with cadence? and heart rate monitor? I've seen a Polar model for about £100 (my birthday in 4 weeks :biggrin: )
  • An appropriate training or at least cycling regimen? Cycling to work, to be honest I want to get there so that can be my speed training?
A know I need to eat and drink less, and exercise more. However, if by my training, I can burn calories quicker, then it is worth considering IMHO.

So any recommendations?

Adrian

oxbob

if you go for the polar hrm you can use the website to create training plans http://www.polar.fi/en/training_with_polar/polar_personal_trainer

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The polar one is about £85-115. Some places have had it one sale. I got one and the speed aspect of it stopped working pretty quickly. The build quality seemed to be pretty low tbh and I've still got to go down the shop and haggle about that one.

The polar one you can even upload the information to a PC through a speaker.

I found http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ quite useful. Input your gear and wheel parameters and you get get out the cadences. If you then had a cheaper speedo or speedo and hrm then save dosh on the cadence aspect?

Top Bottom