Resting Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Mine is consistently lower than the stated "normal" range of 60-100bpm; typically in the '50s.

I'm aware that higher levels of fitness are associated with lower HRs (with quoted figures as low as 40bpm) and I'm doing a reasonable amount of riding at the moment. That said I'm no athlete and have plenty of unhealthy habits / factors that should promote an elevated heartrate..

I'm interested to hear what sort of resting HRs others on here are experiencing, as well as any anecdotal feedback on how cycling has affected your resting HR.

Cheers :smile:

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
Mine's in the mid to high 50s. I'm not super fit but probably fitter than many 62 year olds.

Slick

Guru
I'm much the same, very low 50's despite carrying a bit of timber.

I was in hospital a while ago now and they were so concerned by my low heart rate they were going to cancel the operation.

They changed their mind when I told them I cycled, as it just seemed to be accepted that would mean a lower resting heart rate.

gzoom

Über Member
If you believe my smartwatch, my nocturnal hr can drop below 40, but you have to believe in the smartwatch....not sure if I do.

53536462743_239926d9cf_c_d.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
67 & RHR 60-62.

Happy with that although my GP said it is only part of the overall fitness picture. According to her there are plenty of very fit people with much higher RHR's.

NB I wouldn't claim to be very fit although I appear to be fitter than many in my age group.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'll let you have some of my beta-blocker tablets. They give even the most unfit chuffer the heart rate of an athlete ^_^

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all - very reassuring that so far everyone who's responded has reported values that are very low relative to the "normal" range, with the majority being below its minimum.

I'd agree that while not super-fit, those of us who manage a few hours on the bike every week are probably significantly fitter than the typical sedentary individual.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A resting heart rate of lower than 60 could be indicative of Bradycardia.
Shouldn't worry us on here as we're mostly very fit but if you're not time to see a doc.

Screenshot_20240318-215000.png

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
When i started getting fitter i noticed that if i arose from a seated position too quickly i would nearly black out! I guessed that my new lower resting heart rate was causing this...it was a bit like stalling a vehicle by not giving it enough revs! :laugh: I once got up to answer the door and did for a moment black out... Im no MD so it could be something else. It doesnt happen at all anymore and im racking up more miles than ever. ^_^
ps ive no idea what my resting heart rate is.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

A resting heart rate of lower than 60 could be indicative of Bradycardia.
Shouldn't worry us on here as we're mostly very fit but if you're not time to see a doc.

Thanks; I think it is Bradycardia, but this may or may not be a symptom of underlying issues.

If access to a doctor was straightforward and I had any remaining trust in them I would; sadly this isn't the case.

I am 62 , my RHR is 46 at the moment a year ago it was 42. When talking to competitive cyclists around my age ( those that race) all seem to have RHR's in the 40-50 range. Speaking to a 72 yr old chap who goes to my Friday night dance class who is also a keen time trialer his is 38, his doctor is not concerned over it. ( the bloke is skin, bone and muscle, nothing else)

Top Bottom