CT Heart Scan & Beta Blockers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disclaimer: Have spoken to GP.

I have to have a CT scan of my heart on Saturday. The leaflet that came with it says "if you heart rate is above 70 it maybe necessary to give you medication called a B blocker" "If we need to do this we will inject it when you are in the CT scanner"

My heart rate is never above 70 at rest - in any case I don't have a problem with injections - so not bothered whether I need it or not.

But today (Tuesday before that Sat) - I received a call from GP reception saying I need to take a beta blocker daily - 3 days before the scan. I queried this as it is different to what the appointment letter states and I don't have a fast heart beat - but she just said that is what the registrar asked for.

Obviously I don't want to get there Saturday and they won't do the scan - Equally I don't want to take medication that lowers my heart rate - when my HR isn't high (could be dangerous imo)

I don't have a lot confidence in the registrars at cardiology - They told me I had concentric remodelling from reported scan - where I had previously been advised scans were fine - I queried and was told 'some cardiologists report it - some don't' - they also told me my refraction was 60-65% and I should start BP medication (60-65% Is pretty much normal range)

Really don't know where to take the 3 days beta blockers or not.....

Any thoughts welcome,.....?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've been on beta blockers for a while and I have a low hesrt rate, high 40s at rest, mid 30s asleep. Nothing to worry about, particularly if you're only taking them a few days.

vickster

Legendary Member
Disclaimer: Have spoken to GP.

I have to have a CT scan of my heart on Saturday. The leaflet that came with it says "if you heart rate is above 70 it maybe necessary to give you medication called a B blocker" "If we need to do this we will inject it when you are in the CT scanner"

My heart rate is never above 70 at rest - in any case I don't have a problem with injections - so not bothered whether I need it or not.

But today (Tuesday before that Sat) - I received a call from GP reception saying I need to take a beta blocker daily - 3 days before the scan. I queried this as it is different to what the appointment letter states and I don't have a fast heart beat - but she just said that is what the registrar asked for.

Obviously I don't want to get there Saturday and they won't do the scan - Equally I don't want to take medication that lowers my heart rate - when my HR isn't high (could be dangerous imo)

I don't have a lot confidence in the registrars at cardiology - They told me I had concentric remodelling from reported scan - where I had previously been advised scans were fine - I queried and was told 'some cardiologists report it - some don't' - they also told me my refraction was 60-65% and I should start BP medication (60-65% Is pretty much normal range)

Really don't know where to take the 3 days beta blockers or not.....

Any thoughts welcome,.....?

Phone the hospital

vickster

Legendary Member
Have done - they don't know why I have been asked to take the meds before - each case is different. Said they are happy to inject on day if HR is high.

Does the GP practice have a letter to this effect? Assume by regustrar you mean at hospital, not GP registrar?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Does the GP practice have a letter to this effect? Assume by regustrar you mean at hospital, not GP registrar?

Yes GP has a letter - I should have had a copy but didn't get one. Lady at GP could only really advise contents of letter which said to take beta blockers 3 days before scan. no explanation in letter - spoke to med sec who again could only say 'thats what registrar had requested' - Cardiology dept seem a bit iffy to be honest.

vickster

Legendary Member
If there’s a letter saying to take, then take. Assume this is NHS so can’t contact Consultant directly via Secretary?
Ask the GP for copy of letter (if you can’t download from patient access/NHs app?)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
If there’s a letter saying to take, then take. Assume this is NHS so can’t contact Consultant directly via Secretary?
Ask the GP for copy of letter (if you can’t download from patient access/NHs app?)

Yeah - but they need the heart rate below 70 to get clear images - mine was 52 this morning - so can't see why im been ask medicate to lower my heart rate as it is already below the stated target of 70 - sure it will rise on the day - but even if it goes above that they have the injection thing on hand to get it down. Seems like medication for no good purpose.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah - but they need the heart rate below 70 to get clear images - mine was 52 this morning - so can't see why im been ask medicate to lower my heart rate as it is already below the stated target of 70 - sure it will rise on the day - but even if it goes above that they have the injection thing on hand to get it down. Seems like medication for no good purpose.

I had a CT scan of mine just after an AF episode, my HR was all over the place. I can’t recall a beta blocker, just the weird sensation from the contrast!
Maybe it’s common for the anxiety of having the scan to push the HR up but as you say they can just give it there. No idea

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I had a CT scan of mine just after an AF episode, my HR was all over the place. I can’t recall a beta blocker, just the weird sensation from the contrast!
Maybe it’s common for the anxiety of having the scan to push the HR up but as you say they can just give it there. No idea

Don't even think I need the scan TBH - the palpitations were either a side effect of Ramipril or Hangover from a viral infection - I thought he would have switched me ramipril.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't even think I need the scan TBH - the palpitations were either a side effect of Ramipril or Hangover from a viral infection - I thought he would have switched me ramipril.
Have you done longer term monitoring?
I thought my AF was just an irritable heart post knee operation. It seems not based on all the other tests. Only the CT was completely clear 🙄

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I took beta-blockers for many years when stented even though at the time my resting HR was comfortably below 70.
TBH I'd take them if it's going to improve the chances of a decent scan. It's only 3 days.

Downsides is they can make you feel a bit sluggish (but not always), but they will stop your heart rate racing-up under stress, anxiety etc. They're amazingly metronomic!
After several years I was reassessed and the Cardio consultant said that because of my exercise regime HR and BP etc, he saw no reason for me to continue as my heart function was very good.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Didn't get the beta blockers in time.

But scan went ahead today as planned. Just sweating on the results now 🤪

Top Bottom